Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
J_

Re: Paleo diet: No carb/ legumes/ nuts?

Post by J_ »

I consider myself as a guinea pig. My 15 year period of disciplined eating of simple, plant based food has worked out fine for me. Together with enough sleep and plenty of sports my body is in very good condition.

In this world of manipulating industries, and controversial reports the most simple way is to figure out yourself what is good of your health. Therefore my consideration being my own guinea-pig.
I know bigato has done that, who else is doing the same?

Felix

Post by Felix »

Dragline wrote:On this topic, just read this recently: http://www.amazon.com/Wahls-Protocol-Pr ... s+protocol

It's really directed primarily at MS sufferers, but there's also a lot of other interesting information for the casual eater trying to reduce inflammation, and she talks about some studies that are being done. Worth borrowing, not buying, unless you have MS.
On MS there is also the Swank diet which seems to have a great success rate.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treatin ... k-ms-diet/

Matt_Adventuror

Post by Matt_Adventuror »

This is a cool discussion.

One of my big concerns with lowering my expenses is being healthy and eating well doing so. One of my biggest expenses right now is food. I'd call myself strict paleo most of the time, not because I want to lose weight or follow a diet, but because it gives me energy and makes me feel good.

I really love living in the USA and it has many advantages over living in Australia, especially the cost of living, but the food here is often very questionable. The farming practices in the US, along with GMOs, HFCS, etc, mean that much of the stuff called food here shouldn't really deserve that label. I struggle to eat out without feeling very sick afterwards. I find myself unable to eat about 99% of the food for sale.

I know I can eat the diet I do now but much cheaper by buying whole grass-fed cows, vegetables straight from the farmer, freezing more food and generally buying in bulk, so this might be my strategy moving forward. Dropping into Wholefoods every day is a real budget killer for me...

I'm also a major Crossfit nut, and that is another couple of $1000 a year, and then there is my supplements, occasional yoga, recovery stuff like massage/chiro, and so on. I do spend a lot of money on my health. To be healthy to the level of health I'm accustomed while lowering my cost of living is one of my major challenges.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is categorically against frankenfoods/ingredients that technically fit this or that dietary restriction. it feels like "making smoking healthy".

Chad

Post by Chad »

That's fine. I'm categorically against people talking in 3rd person, but they still do.