Clothes: Minimizing vs. Economizing

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

In view of my impending move, I'm considering minimizing my clothes. I have probably five weeks worth of them! Being somewhat of a caveman, this means I tend to only do my laundry every five weeks or so. In my current living space, it's no big problem storing them--I have some very efficient storage under my bed for this purpose. It probably won't be a problem storing them at my new place either, but I'm tempted to minimize them anyway, potentially to just a week's worth of my favorite clothes, so that I can wash them all in 2-3 bucket loads each weekend and feel generally less cluttered.
In the long run this will raise my clothes expenses, though, since if I kept all five weeks worth of clothes, they'd probably last for the next decade or more, but the single week's worth will probably wear out in a year or two. The plus side is that I will be better dressed, since the last three weeks tend to be white tees and jeans. Thoughts?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

If you have the space, just keep them.
However, only keep the clothes you use in the laundry system out for use. Store the rest in a suitcase. This way some of it will wear out in 2 years. Then you can shop in the suitcase. If you keep everything in circulation it will last for 10+ years.
I'm still working through some excess stuff. If you have been bitten by the minimalist bug, the excess will be frustrating though.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

"If you have been bitten by the minimalist bug, the excess will be frustrating though."
^ me. I'm doing an experiment right now to see if I can live with only 3 pairs of underwear, 2 tshirts, 1 pair of pants etc. The rest of my clothes are stored elsewhere and will be donated if not used by August 2011.

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

@Jacob--I could not agree more. I'm trying to shave my wardrobe back and it's frustrating because I'm in the same boat as Zev. Lots of functional, great clothes but 5-10 years worth depending on the article(s) in question. I figure if I slow the process down I can do what you suggested to Zev and "shop" from myself.
@Zev--Being in your position I'd recommend the same thing that Jacob said. It's cheaper to keep everything, or most items if they're usable. If you have an excess of odd things...say, Hawaiian shirts then by all means unload those. The only thing you'd have to worry about would be slight fashion changes over the course of a decade, though if you stick to major staples that shouldn't be too much of a worry.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@ Jacob and Red--brilliant; this is what i will do, though i will probably retire a few ancient t-shirts from college days to rag status.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

@AlexOliver
I hope you don't have to do your laundry at a laundry mat with only 1 pair of pants! :)

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

@Zev--I think that's a good idea. I don't know about your SO status, but either way if you have one or are attempting to obtain one that will weed things out of your wardrobe quickly. It's generally for the better, though, they know what they're doing. :)
Also, here's some more food for thought:
http://unclutterer.com/2007/06/29/a-man-in-uniform/
This is a path I will most likely head down. If your clothing is too conspicuous and varied then it makes it tough to have LESS, because people will notice and say,"Geez, that Zev guy ALWAYS wears that double-breasted plaid blazer." If you stick with simple stuff, which is more toward the ERE neck of the woods anyway, it'll be incredibly easy to coast along on 5 shirts and a couple pairs of pants. Plus it's less "fashion" oriented. Thank god!

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

Serving active duty in the military has definitely brought to light the importance of owning less. Luckily I don't have to vary my work attire (same uniform every day), but when I'm in civilian attire, I keep it simple. I own 8 solid color t-shirts (4 gray, 4 black), a couple pairs of jeans, a pair of khakis, a pair of shorts, a "night out" shirt, and a couple sweaters. Mix and match (really depends on the weather).
Another thing that has helped keep clothing/laundry costs low is increasing days of wear per wash. Unless you're doing something that causes you to sweat/stink, it really isn't necessary to wear something once and then throw it in the hamper. Get home from work, change out of your "uniform" and lay it out for another day, switch into your "play" clothes. If you maintain basic hygiene standards, no one will know the difference.
Ah... the good ol' smell check.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

My uniform this summer has been a polo or T shirt, cargo pocket shorts, white socks and tennis shoes. I hate to see this ending as it has been rainy and crispy cool the last couple days. We wash about once a week, so this does not mean a heavy laundry like when we were not retired. One good thing about being retired is being quite comfortable in the above attire each day.

I do keep a pair of Levi's worn out jeans on the ready for yard work (running the weed whacker). When I shower in the evening, I change from shorts and T shirt to even softer shorts and T shirt.

It's great.

I dread long pants and sweaters and coats time.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I like the man in a uniform concept. However, what should that uniform be. Experts in men's clothing tell me I'm getting too old to pull the jeans and t-shirt look anymore which worked in almost all cases, summer and winter.
What would be a good nondescript (I like to blend in in public) "uniform" for a 30-something guy?

B

Post by B »

@jacob
I had the same problem and this is what I (google) found:
http://ask.metafilter.com/158586/How-to ... like-a-man
That page provides multiple answers, many of them too concerned with fashion. Do try to look past that though, as the question is about fashion after all. ;)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@B - Looks like dark jeans, button down shirts (with rolled up sleeves), and nice shoes.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@Jacob

I can tell you that my uniform, as a 48y.o., is a solid color knit shirt -- usually black or very bright color like yellow -- and khakis with casual loafers. If I have to dress it up, I wear a white or french blue button-down shirt and a blue blazer.
I am never going to be a style maven, but I am never going to be out of style either.

B

Post by B »

@jacob
What about the chunky metal wristwatches, or the "unique" graphic tees? None of that strike your fancy?
Also, I didn't understand the rolling up of sleeves.
Anyway, I think teeshirts are still valid adult male uniform clothing, but the company I work for is very relaxed in its dress code. The older managers seem to prefer button-down shirts and they never wear shorts.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I have a couple of unique graphic tees. They say something like < insert season > champions --- roller hockey league. Real classy, eh?
Also, I certainly don't have any wristwatches because wristwatches are outdated. I do have a clunky timepiece though, or was that chunky?

Maus

Post by Maus »

@Jacob

No wristwatch. But I thought you were at one time contemplating a course of study in watch repair.
When TEOTWAWKI arrives and the cell towers fall, I will go back to wearing my wristwatch. Until then T (I own it) provides the needed data.

akratic

Post by akratic »

Nice links, B and Redsted1!
Sounds like I need a new pair of shoes. Anyone have a pair to recommend? Ideally something I can comfortably walk 10 miles in but also get away with on a date.
If it matters, my "uniform" is dark jeans & solid grey t-shirts.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Maus - "Wristwatches" are so yesterday. Now, they're called "timepieces" => timepiece repair, I guess.
True story about wristwatches vs cellphones:
Anon) I don't need a wristwatch, since I can get the time on my cellphone and it's synchronized to atomic clocks.

Me) Okay, so what time is it? My watch says 2:10, it's usually good within a minute.

Anon) Hang on, I need to get the phone out of my pocket.

Me) < waiting > Okay, so what time is it?

Anon) Hang on, it's rebooting.

Me) Okay ....

Anon) It's 2:14.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@akratic - http://www.amazon.com/VASQUE-SUNDOWNER- ... B002V439RE
They probably won't last 10 years, but they will pass in an office/date and walk 10 miles.

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

Lots of good thoughts here! The man in uniform is a wonderful concept I'm working towards.
@Jacob--You're in a different neck of the woods than 99% of people your age so your wardrobe will reflect that, go with what you're comfortable wearing. As long as you don't look too scrubby to be taken seriously I don't see a problem with jeans and a t-shirt. If I were you, I'd make the t-shirt solid in color (black/gray/blue/white/olive green) and wear darker jeans with a pair of nice loafers--throw on a blazer/sport coat to dress it up or a v-neck/pullover sweater. This all can easily fit within the ERE framework.
A wristwatch for a man is 10x cooler as an accessory than it was a decade ago--because of cell phones. Your example above exemplifies why perfectly, Jacob. It's classier to wear a watch--if you're wearing the right watch. I am a big fan of buying a high quality used watch, as you mentioned about your Omega, Jacob. I'm looking into old Rolexes, but that's a tough go right now financially. Maybe a Citizen Eco-drive since it doesn't need battery replacements?
As for shoes...my personal favorite are Ecco, a bit pricey but unsurpassed comfort and they hold up quite well, though I'm not sure if the dress shoes will handle 10 mile runs to work. Oh, and I think it's a Danish company, which I GUESS is ok too. :D
Here's Ecco on Zappos:
http://www.zappos.com/mens-ecco