Harvest time

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Pulling in the potato crop... nothing extraordinary, just consistent. Oregon's rainy June decimated anyone's plans for a sweet corn crop this year and it's been tough to get tomatoes that are both sizeable and ripe (you can have big & green or small & ripe, but not both!).
Winter crops are being planted now/soon with the exception of garlic which goes into the ground in November-December. Definitely time to prepare the ground for spring planting, before the rainy season gets under way.
Meanwhile, out in the rivers and streams, the salmon are coming. This year's return isn't going to match last year's near-records and the minimal rains are causing many of the fish to be delayed. I've been hooking the occasional searun cutthroat trout as I learn the Necanicum River's cycle with an eye on catching the hatchery winter steelhead in December. While poking my nose around the Trask River yesterday, I saw a spawned-out native winter steelhead heading downstream to the ocean at warp speed to fuel up for another charge upstream in March.

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

Corn's starting to come down early this year. I think the farmers are afraid of another long, cold, snowy winter.
I love the smell of alfalfa drying. It's like crack.