Green Smoothies

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Chad

Re: Green Smoothies

Post by Chad »

Good idea with the milk cartoons. Unfortunately, I don't drink milk.

Ego

Post by Ego »

That's true about the plastic containers. Those soy yogurt containers are #2 HDPE which is better than #7 BPA. I would prefer glass or stainless containers, but they don't stack well and we don't have the room to store them.

Just after I finished vita-mixing this morning my fruit-crack dealer showed up with a box full of backyard pomegranates. He says these are probably the last of the season. I can never seem to peel them as well as that woman in the youtube video so I'm doomed to have red fingers for the next week.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Good story about the placebo effect and eating.... Mind Over Milkshake.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04 ... ur-stomach
A couple of years ago, Crum found herself considering what seems like a pretty strange question. She wanted to know whether the information conveyed by a nutritional label could physically change what happens to you — "whether these labels get under the skin literally," she says, "and actually affect the body's physiological processing of the nutrients that are consumed."

and

If you believed you were drinking the indulgent shake, she says, your body responded as if you had consumed much more. "The ghrelin levels dropped about three times more when people were consuming the indulgent shake (or thought they were consuming the indulgent shake)," she says, compared to the people who drank the sensible shake (or thought that's what they were drinking).
They were the same shake.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Nutritionfacts is doing a series on green smoothies...

Blended fruits and veggies release more nutrients than chewing and our bodies are able to absorb more of them...
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-gre ... d-for-you/

...but there could be a downside.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-gre ... d-for-you/

Some things should be eaten whole, not ground, blended or mashed.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Every time I see these smoothie threads I have to fight with myself not to buy a vitamix blender on ebay. I walked past a blendtech in costco and it's a good job SO was there to say no! :'(

connie

Post by connie »

god, i wish i could! but vagetabes seems boring to me! :(

Ego

Post by Ego »

The last video in the series addresses some of the issues we talked about in other threads including what the acidic veggies and fruits can do to teeth and the oxalates - kidney stone problem. But don't watch the last minute. I'm not sure why he included that.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-dow ... smoothies/

Chad

Post by Chad »

Yeah, I started rotating my greens in my breakfast smoothies. Usually between Kale, Chard, and Bok Choy, with the last two being used more often. Bok Choy was added because of it's low oxalate content.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Watercress tops list of ‘powerhouse fruits and vegetables.’ Who knew?

Researchers at William Paterson University in New Jersey have done all of us a big favor by producing a list of 41 "powerhouse fruits and vegetables" ranked by the amounts of 17 critical nutrients they contain. In a study published Thursday in the CDC journal "Preventing Chronic Disease," the foods are scored by their content of fiber, potassium, protein, calcium, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin A, vitamin D and other nutrients, all considered important to public health.

Atop the list? Watercress, long known as a superfood because it packs large amounts of a wide variety of these important substances, with a score of 100. The next five in the elite category: Chinese cabbage (91.99), chard (89.27), beet greens (87.08), spinach (86.43) and chicory (73.36). The full chart is below.

I add spinach to my smoothies (frozen in ice blocks). Has anyone grown watercress? Is it hard?

-------

My daily smoothies now contain a liquid multi, a liquid B supplement, fish oil, berries (frozen), protein powder, spinach (frozen), and honey. I'm considering adding lemon juice, but I wonder if it's better to add that to my afternoon tea instead. Lately, I've been using milk as a base because my calcium is low. Normally, I like using green and red tea as a base.

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

Dragging up an old thread I know, but I've always been well behind the trendy curve and have just purchased a rather lethal looking blender.

Do any of the green smoothie drinkers on the site have concerns about the amount of pesticides in the large quantities of vegetables that they are eating - the 'dirty dozen' and so on? If so, have you switched to organic veg for any of your smoothies?

Ultimately I would like to grow some of my own greens, but December isn't really the time to start gardening when your house is a bombsite!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

OOo, which one did you get?

Organic veg being safer is a bit of a misnomer, yes organic veg doesn't use synthetic pesticides which means your eviromental impact might be reduced, however farmers can still use organic pesticides and retain the 'organic' tag. Some organic pesticides are more toxic than the synthetic stuff.

Some of the science behind sythethic vs organic argument, well, isn't really science. :roll:

Further reading: http://vitals.lifehacker.com/why-you-sh ... 1689190822
Last edited by vexed87 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

That was a really interesing short read, thanks.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Ydobon wrote: Do any of the green smoothie drinkers on the site have concerns about the amount of pesticides in the large quantities of vegetables that they are eating - the 'dirty dozen' and so on? If so, have you switched to organic veg for any of your smoothies?
Not really concerned. I do get some of them organic, but some times only conventionally grown produce is available.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I'm starting to incorporate a green smoothie into my diet. I'm trying to do it daily but I've run out of fruit and greens today. Anyway I figure its good for me and to me my health is an important part of becoming FI.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Refurbished Vita-Mix direct from the manufacturer for $224 with 5 year warranty and free shipping right now with coupon code 07-0103-01-02

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Certified- ... ty-5yr-std

This is less than they sell for second-hand on craigslist. I nearly bought a refurb from them last year for more when my old VM stopped working but I was able to fix it so I canceled the order.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I've started adding a little fenugreek seed powder to my green smoothies.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefit ... eek-seeds/

Chad

Post by Chad »

Any strength gains?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yep, I can now squat three consecutive reps with the girls bar before peeing my pants.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Nice. This will be all over the NFL combine at the end of next month.