Green Smoothies

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Re: Green Smoothies

Post by Ego »

Chad, what is your setup for sprouting? My broccoli sprouts were getting foul after about the third day (three rinses a day). I think maybe I got a bad batch of seeds.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

@maxysu @steveo73
I put carrots in my smoothies (although not whole ones; I buy baby carrots out of convenience) to get the benefits of eating carrots regularly without making my teeth work too hard. Since I use carrots instead of the normally suggested greens, it's more of an orange smoothie (subject to the colors of the added fruits). I use a NutriBullet which is 600W.

Erenymous

Post by Erenymous »

I used to drink green smoothies every morning with frozen berries and extra virgin olive oil. Then my blender broke so I haven't done any for a few years.

I think fruits are overrated. They are generally highly refined breeds full of sugar and low in good nutrients per calorie. I think berries and especially vegetables are superior options. Fat people get more fat by eating lots of fruit candy and telling themselves it's super healthy. Fruits smoothies can be sugar bombs and a first step to diabetes.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Erenymous wrote:I used to drink green smoothies every morning with frozen berries and extra virgin olive oil. Then my blender broke so I haven't done any for a few years.

I think fruits are overrated. They are generally highly refined breeds full of sugar and low in good nutrients per calorie. I think berries and especially vegetables are superior options. Fat people get more fat by eating lots of fruit candy and telling themselves it's super healthy. Fruits smoothies can be sugar bombs and a first step to diabetes.
Fruit is extremely healthy. Extra virgin olive oil isn't healthy. The sugar in fruits is basically completely irrelevant (fruit is good for you) and the nutrient density of fruits is really good.

Fat people get fat by lots of reasons but not by eating fruit.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Ego wrote:Chad, what is your setup for sprouting? My broccoli sprouts were getting foul after about the third day (three rinses a day). I think maybe I got a bad batch of seeds.
I think you got a bad batch. I use a couple mason jars with the strainer lids. I let them sit in water over night for one night and then rinse twice a day for a few days. After rinsing I let them sit upside down to drain. On the final day I set the jar on a windowsill for a day. Then I just change from the strainer lid to the normal mason jar lid and store them in the fridge. Usually takes 3-4 days. I haven't had any issues.

Here is another video from Rhonda Patrick. It outlines how to get more sulforaphane out of your sprouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7buU-PK7_I

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks Chad. I will give a try again and report back.

Yesterday I ran another batch of green smoothies and took a photo of the mushrooms and roots I added.

Clockwise from bottom left, fresh turmeric, lotus root, enoki mushrooms, bamboo shoot, seafood mushroom, king trumpet mushroom, oyster mushroom, maitake mushroom, white button mushroom.

sky

Post by sky »

Chad wrote:I use a couple mason jars with the strainer lids. I let them sit in water over night for one night and then rinse twice a day for a few days. After rinsing I let them sit upside down to drain. On the final day I set the jar on a windowsill for a day. Then I just change from the strainer lid to the normal mason jar lid and store them in the fridge. Usually takes 3-4 days. I haven't had any issues.
How do you separate the hulls from the greens?

Chad

Post by Chad »

sky wrote: How do you separate the hulls from the greens?
I don't. Just toss it all in the blender. Don't even notice them.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Chad wrote: I think you got a bad batch. I use a couple mason jars with the strainer lids. I let them sit in water over night for one night and then rinse twice a day for a few days. After rinsing I let them sit upside down to drain. On the final day I set the jar on a windowsill for a day. Then I just change from the strainer lid to the normal mason jar lid and store them in the fridge. Usually takes 3-4 days. I haven't had any issues.
I ran a batch of green smoothies this morning. Yielded 8+ gallons. I used your directions and started three gallons of sprouts on Monday. They were finished today and added to the smoothies. I will add this to my regular routine. Thanks!

Yesterday one of my sellers at the swap meet who sells mostly Costco returned items had a Blendtec Pro 750 for $90. I tested it and the motor worked perfectly. The bearings on the container were shot. I should have looked it up on my phone before walking away. Hopefully he'll still have it on Wednesday.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Ego
8+ gallons? Wow!No problem. It's so easy and cheap there is no reason not to make the sprouts. Plus, the sulforaphane is a no brainer.

I have a Blendtec and it works really well.

sky

Post by sky »

I have not been able to get broccoli sprouts to work. About half of them sprout, but they stay small.

I have a successful daily harvest of one quart of sprouts using six Mason jars, with an alfalfa, radish and fenugreek seed mix.

For two months I have been eating bean tacos piled high with sprouts as my main food. Muesli for breakfast. It seems to be going well although I am looking for ways to add fat to my diet. I have started adding a few Tbs of coconut and walnuts to the muesli. I also eat dark chocolate. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

Ego

Post by Ego »

Eating Toward Immortality
Diet culture is just another way of dealing with the fear of death.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ty/515658/

Nutrition is a young science that lies at the intersection of several complex disciplines—chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, psychology—and though we are far from having figured it all out, we still have to eat to survive. When there are no guarantees or easy answers, every act of eating is something like a leap of faith.'

Eating is the first magic ritual, an act that transmits life energy from one object to another, according to cultural anthropologist Ernest Becker in his posthumously published book Escape From Evil. All animals must feed on other life to sustain themselves, whether in the form of breastmilk, plants, or the corpses of other animals. The act of incorporation, of taking a once-living thing into your own body, is necessary for all animals’ existence. It is also disturbing and unsavory to think about, since it draws a direct connection between eating and death.

The article is quite good. I always like to look under the hood and inspect why we do what we do, and I believe that a fear of death is the reason we seek immortality with legacies and religions and cultural institutions. We want to be part of something that lives on. I think she is right that fear of death can be the thing that motivates people to eat healthy and that fear can be taken to extreme, though she misses a few important points, namely that eating is not entirely a leap of faith (science!) and there are reasons to eat healthy that have nothing to do with a fear of death (lifelong rungasms and such).

She hates on vitamixers and green smoothies and ball jars (which I just started using) so I though it belonged here. :D

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

We've been wanting to get a blender for a while now, but haven't really done work finding a good one. Vitamix seems like the go-to here, but I'm surprised, it seems a bit overpriced.

Any other brands here? Ninja professionals are cheaper and look good.

sky

Post by sky »

Can you make smoothies with a regular blender?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Aldi carries one that is similar to a vitamix but much less expensive and seems to get good reviews. It goes for about $80.
https://youtu.be/hddP3qdKv9k

You can make smoothies in a regular blender but you are limited to the less fibrous veggies (and no root veggies) as they clog up the works.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

DW and I have been having a lot less green smoothies as of late, although I'll chalk that down to not going to the supermarket for fresh produce much lately. We have been trying to eat out of the freezer with a move on the horizon. However, 100% fruit smoothies, mostly berries and bananas are a regular feature here after the evening meal when we might otherwise be tempted by something sweet with refined sugars.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

It looks like that Aldi blender might be an annual event (a couple weeks ago). I'll check next time we get there. Otherwise, I'll wait until it comes around again. It's looks pretty good!

We grow a whole ton of greens during the summer and invariable never eat it all. Green smoothies would fix that.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Do you need an expensive vitamix to make these?
What type of blender would you recommend thats super easy to clean, can handle raw fruits and veggies, and is inexpensive?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I use my teeth to make them.

jbc

Post by jbc »

@ThisDino, Inexpensive? depends on your definition... however, I bought a ninja for <$100 at Sams recently similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Ninja-Auto ... er+auto+iq

I mainly bought this model due to the type and number of attachments it came with. I've been very pleased with it.

My general recipe.

1/3 frozen mixed fruit
1/3 yogurt or kefir
1/3 greens
1 banana
2 raw eggs

impossible to screw up, cheap, easy, healthy, delicious...