the "I'm going to change" thread

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

How about a random thread where you post brief summations about what you want to change, how you are going to do it and the results?

________

*problem: I check my portfolio balance ridiculously too often, it wastes time.
*solution: After today's market close I'm going to go 2 weeks without checking.
*results: .... will post in 2 weeks.

________

How: This will drive me completely insane, but I'll set email alerts if anything triggers a rebalance... I'll have to do actual work at work.
-What will you change?

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

We had finished about 95% of our organizing/decluttering after the move. We were mostly back online, but certain things were undone.
Chose to attack last weekend instead of doing fun stuff.
Resold/donated ~100 books over the past week (we gave away our big bookshelf during the move and the homeless books were stitting in boxes)and now fit on the two shelves we kept
Organized record collection on repurposed home entertainment rack
Unpacked everything for garage/workshop. Stuff is now where I want it all but still needs some set-up time.
Returned damaged LED retrofit and other unused bits last night to Home Depot. Installed two new retrofits in bedroom
Totally finished office today
Next steps- Finish workbench set ups in garage. Sell some old aquarium gear I found when we moved.

m741

Post by m741 »

* I currently have 5 totally full bookcases. I will be donating/selling 2 full bookcases over the next 1-2 months in preparation for a move.

* Over the next month I will be listing some stuff on Craigslist (furniture/electronics). Also in preparation for a move.

* I will stop buying processed sugars. I did this for 3 weeks in January but then had to deal with more pressing things. Looking forward to getting back on the wagon as my diet has been crap.

* I'm going to be trying to grow alfalfa sprouts this weekend. Healthy and I want to develop a green thumb.

* I've been far too lax about investing, I'd like to put $10k into the market over the next 2 weeks. Will bump up dividend income. Not too thrilled given where the market's at to be buying right now, but I can't delay forever.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Problem: December-January were unusually expensive due to holiday celebrations, hosting guests, adopting a dog, and "miscellaneous."
Solution: Going crowbar-method for a while. In the last month my only spending, aside from groceries and fixed bills, was materials to expand my square foot garden. Back to basics, it works.
---
Problem: I still have a decrepit sports car that I've lost interest in gathering dust in the garage. It needs repairs to be salable, I feel morally compelled to repair and sell it rather than scrap it, but I'm uninterested and there's no time pressure so I keep procrastinating.
Solution: I have arranged a barter wherein I will let a fellow homebrewer/mechanic with a small kitchen use my brew facilities, in exchange for helping me do the repairs. I expect the low-level peer pressure will force me to follow through.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Update on OP: not checking portfolio balance is driving me a little nuts... I find I do it almost without thought. I do allow myself skim the finance section at open and close.
Installed LeechBlock for Firefox, which is helping greatly:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... leechblock
Got another one, *Problem: tend to drink too many beers when I get home from work.

*solution: Eat dinner as soon as I get home.

*results: Have done in this in the past with success but will post again in 2 weeks.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Results*

Both of my changes were successful. Doing well checking portfolio balance at market close and open, not watching it throughout the day.
Got beer consumption down too (~$40 last month, down from over $100) by eating as soon as I'm home... Generally leads to me going to bed [and getting up] 1-2 hours earlier, but that isn't a problem.

*New rule I can only watch non-education TV when I'm eating... This is what I used to do and it has always worked well.
Once this is whipped, I might add it back so long as I'm doing something else productive (cooking, cleaning, tinkering, working, so on) at the same time.

thenagain

Post by thenagain »

I waste too much time randomly browsing useless stuff on the web. Rather than impose a block or time limit (experience has taught me that such an approach does not gel with my personality) I will instead seek to replace the habit with a more productive alternative, book reading.
1. Replace lunchtime browsing with a walk or book.

2. Quit Netflix

3. Try start/keep reading journal
I already read a bit, but not as much as I would like (judging by my backlog) so this will be a useful habit to instil over the next 2 - 4 weeks.