I'm on a boat! I'm on a boat! OK, I just wish I was...

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

This was started from an old post from the ERE website. I have looked into living on a boat (sailboat because it doesn't require the oil reserves). In general, I have seen a lot of blogs on people living in marina's but not many people living for free with an anchor. I am not sure if that is due to laws/fees or safety issues. I have also heard of people sailing around the world running into the coast guard and getting searched. I would like to hear your ideas/thoughts/experiences on the topic:)

Q

Post by Q »

If you are legit, would being inspected be that bad?
I would be concerned about my massive alcohol collection being confiscated :(

George the other one

Post by George the other one »

Living on a boat is not as inexpensive as you might think. I have read that the average cost to live on the ocean in a boat year round is around $5000 minimum per year once you take into account repairs/upkeep and docking fees.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

@Q
From what I have read, it depends on the country searching.
@George
I don't think $5000 is unreasonable, but that usually requires staying planted in the same location and many marina's don't want liveaboards. I have heard access to many marina's have long waiting lists.

Q

Post by Q »

As posted elsewhere, the Marina in Moss Landing is open here, but they charge a live-aboard few. I think it came to like $400 or $500 a month when all was said and done?? Compare that to huge waiting lists an hour and a half away for Berkeley where Jacob would like to anchor.
$5000 to me is cheap as well, for a "secure" place to live. You can travel anywhere and pay the docking fee and that's it really. I believe in the bahamas and most of the Caribbean they have pretty liberal anchor out laws...but I am no expert or even beginner on that.