Freedom

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

Do you agree with one of the following statements more than the other? (If so, which?)
"Freedom is being left alone to do what I want;" or
"Freedom is being able to express unpopular ideas without fearing for my safety."
from: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 082610.php

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Both :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I support freedom as "freedom from harm" much stronger than either of the above.
"Freedom to do" may harm others; in most cases this freedom affects someone and in some cases it harms someone. Therefore I can't support "doing what you want" as a universal.
"Freedom to say what you want" is certainly a right. It should be recognized that nobody can hurt you through what they say. You can hurt yourself through the way you think about what is being said, but that's your problem, not theirs. "Manners" enter the picture because you may act different based on what they say. However, you should not be allowed to harm anyone no matter what they say.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It's complicated like a lot of other things we discuss. "Freedom to do what I want" might imply that I am rich and can afford everything and also to pay 80% taxes on top. "Freedom to say anything without harm", in my opinion, only implies that we live in a society that is trying to brainwash people to think they are free, over acting like past communist countries (while we still might have to pay 80% tax).

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I love this title too much! It reminds me of my favorite movie "Braveheart"!