How to properly store produce and eggs

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
boltzmannsbrain

Post by boltzmannsbrain »

A lot of people, myself included, have forgotten how to properly store produce. Everything tends to get shoved into these supersized fridges we don't really need.

Here's two useful links on the subject. Feel free to post links and tips about storage of food, kitchen hacks etc. in this thread.
"Saving Food From The Fridge: It Will Taste Better, May Even Last Longer And Reduce Your Energy Bills": http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-desig ... bills.html
"How to Keep Fruits and Veggies Fresh" (a comprehensive list):

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nut ... sp?id=1103
(I'm also looking into sprouting, here's an old ERE thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?t=82#post-541 )

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

Eggs don't need refrigeration.

Cut off the bottom inch of leafy greens when you bring them home and set in a glass of water to keep longer.

riparian

Post by riparian »

If it's cold outside you can let most vegetables freeze. Then don't let them thaw - they'll turn to mush - of you cook them from frozen they're fine.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

This is interesting. I just read the sections in the book about getting by without a refrigerator. Along with hot water heater, my fridge must be the single biggest continuous electrical expense in my house. I've contemplated reducing this by going to a smaller size but--similar to buying a more energy efficient unit--it doesn't seem cost effective replacing something that's perfectly functional. Even replacing the fridge with a freezer seems questionable since the unit I have already has a freezer. Plus, I like milk...
I have also heard that a fuller fridge takes less energy to keep cool. Makes sense since it basically makes the interior space smaller.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

@spart_warrior
Plus those mini-fridges tend to be less efficient than the larger ones just because they aren't built as well.
I do recall reading somewhere about someone who lived off-grid, with solar, modifying an efficient chest freezer into a refrigerator and having a lot of success with it.
It's also possible to do passive refrigeration if you live somewhere with cold winters by basically building a walk-in (or large) freezer and using passive methods to create a giant block of ice to last you through the summer. Googling 'passive' refrigeration will give you an idea on some of the methods.