Government handouts & ERE

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
murpheyw

Post by murpheyw »

Regards of ones beliefs, it seems many ERE'ers might qualify for government programs such as Medicaid and food stamps (SNAP) to assist or cover major budget items. Does anyone have any experience in this arena?
With my future ERE budget being around $1000 a month, 30% of that is allocated for food. I need to run the screening tool to see if I qualify.
(SNAP) pre screening tool ---> http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/
Has anyone read any good comprehensive books related to this subject?

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I recall looking into SNAP when I started my PhD program (having heard all the rumors that grad student stipends were frequently low enough that one could qualify--naturally I was curious just what the cutoff was). However, it turned out that having any serious assets was a disqualifier for me(more than a few thousand dollars in cash was enough, if I recall). I don't know if that varies at all from state to state, but if it's a constant disqualifier I would imagine SNAP would only be useful to people still in debt or at the very beginning of asset accumulation.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I imagine this would be possible for single moms but not most people who are healthy and without kids.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I leased subsidized apartments to people and found they (some) would feel squeamish about receipt of government rental assistance. I would ask them if they ever paid any income tax on earned income? Mostly the answer was "yes". I then explained that they themselves had funded the very system they were now applying for. In a sense, they were using their own money to assist with their rent. The program was based on "adjusted gross monthly income" with a cap on annual income. Assets were not considered, except for a figure based on 2 percent of cash or real property assets. The 2% figure was then added to annual income. I had people receiving rental assistance that actually had more than $100,000 in CD's or savings. The 2% of that, and usually a small Social Security check still qualified them. They paid 30% of their "adjusted gross monthly income" towards rent. The balance was picked up by USDA-RD. Soooooo, we had some seemingly well off people qualifying for rental assistance.

So, yes, it is out there.

rachels

Post by rachels »

Here in Texas, having any significant savings will prevent you from receiving SNAP. I believe you can't have more than about $6,000 in assets, not counting one vehicle. As for Medicaid, I don't believe that middle-aged adults without children are currently eligible. I think that there is a lot of state to state variation, though.

Q

Post by Q »

I would have trouble doing it myself, but as HSpencer points out, we already provide for it.
People I know use food stamps for themselves and their child(ren).
My previous apartment had a salary cap so to speak, and I had to provide W-2's every year, with bank statements. Eventually, since we have overtime, I crossed the cap and was dreading the imminent eviction...

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

This is an interesting subject... I am curious how many federal and state programs we will be exempt from for having savings, ie. not being utterly helpless and dependent.
How could you hide your savings? Invest in (purchase) something: Land, livestock, firearms?
What can you buy, that still produces dividends, that would make you eligible for such programs?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Here's what the SNAP defined as assets in the tool:

cash on hand

checking account

savings account

CD

stocks

bonds

mutual funds

real estate (other than home)

annuities

burial plot

burial contract (pre-paid)

other
Asset Details:

If you have more than $2,000 ($3,000 if your household has a member who is age 60 or older or disabled) in cash, a bank account, other readily available source (and in some states part of value of a motor vehicle) you may not be eligible for SNAP benefits.
The house in which you live in and your belongings, life insurance, 401k plans, and burial plots are not counted in deciding whether you may be eligible.
Some States count the value of motor vehicles, others do not. If your State counts the value of vehicles, you will be asked about them on another screen.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Q
On Rental Assistance apartments, once a tenant reaches income cap, many tenants think it's over. Not true! It is the owner that has to worry, not the tenant. The tenant can continue to live in the apartment, and simply pay market rate. The owner is worried now, because as in the case of USDA-Rural Development, the "RA" (rental assistance) on that unit is not being used. USDA-RD may decide to "pull" the RA on that unit. They may transfer it to another complex or another owner. The waiting list for apartment owners, awaiting an award of RA, is very long. No manager or owner dares lose an RA on a unit. It could be months or years getting it back, if ever. As long as USDA-RD is paying even $1.00 of a tenant's rent, then RA is considered active on the unit.

This causes many owners and managers to lie to tenants, telling them they MUST vacate if cap is reached. It simply isn't true.

Q

Post by Q »

That's some good info - the manager there was pretty mean, and I did pay market rate for awhile until she wanted to raise my rent to more than I thought was reasonable.
It was a 300 sq ft studio, no kitchen, just a mini fridge and sink. My eating out costs negated the benefits of "cheap" rent.
Now I pay less (technically since it is split), than what a used to pay for way more...and a kitchen and pool :)

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Q
Another tidbit: On tax credit properties, (Owners in receipt of government tax credit for providing rentals under USDA-RD/RA), said owner may not raise the "basic rent amount on a tax credit unit", without approval through review by Rural Development. An owner must submit a Rent Increase Proposal to RD, outlining the justification for an increase based on operational costs and including a survey of like charges within the region. Once approved, the approved rent increase must be posted in the office of the property and given in writing to all tenants. This prevents owners charging in excess of the established market rate for their property.

Bear in mind there are a jillion different programs out there, and no one understands much on any of them!!

Q

Post by Q »

SO and I were debating applying for SNAP recently - but how does "household" members work?
She posed the question about "roommates" - do they count or not count? Why would they be responsible for you eating?
If I technically do not count, then I think I will have her apply.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Q
Household, as in housing, refers to the composition of people living in the unit, and are identified on the lease. In a simple household this could be dad and mom and jr. It can be Adam and Eve, or Adam and Steve. It could also be Adam, Eve, and Steve. The main thing is it is a stated and identified group of those having occupation of leased unit.

In SNAP or other government assistance, the identification of those involved in the application and the receipt of benefits, would also be identified. The contribution of income to the "household" would also be identified, as to meet the qualifications of the applicant(s). The applicant would provide total monthly household income to the service applied for.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@ Q
Thinking-------If your SO declared as a "single person household" and presented "monthly income from all sources" the eligibility may be there. The next question is "What are your monthly housing costs?" Answer: "I pay xxx.xx to rent a room". This shows you don't "live with" someone else, and are in fact a single person household.
In housing, this is why Mable cannot get away with qualifying for an apartment on her own income, and then a few days later move in her unemployed brother to sleep on the sofa.

The brother would be added as a "household" member, and all income and assets (if any, usually none) would be counted with Mable's. Legally, brother could crash on sofa for 14 days, and then must be gone for 45 days before returning.