Where's the ERE Book?!?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Q

Post by Q »

"And don't ever give hundreds of dollars to someone who claims to offer you wisdom... like you just did."
That made me laugh pretty good.
No, I understand what you are saying.
I don't advocate making people attend a seminar to getting the book. I think the seminar invites more people into the fold using traditional pull in methods.
In the same manner as YMOYL did (which were free tho I think), ERE would create it's own movement, like it already has with the forum. It's been nearly a month now I think and we post back and forth every day!
I don't think charging is a bad thing, or trampling on the spirit of ERE. If anything, charging covers the cost of the hotel room and the profit goes to one of the many ideas already floated in the forums. It could almost be ERE Non-Profit.
...and there's a board seat too ;)

RobBennett

Post by RobBennett »

It's a mistake to assume too much logic on the choices made about this sort of thing. There are lots of people who will not pay $20 for a book who will happily pay $200 for a seminar and who will recommend it to all their friends. Lots of people just don't like books or don't value them or whatever. They are still good people who would like to do good things with their lives. You're helping them if you get good information to them regardless of whether they pay $20 or $200 or $2,000.
I personally like to see the higher price points. I am biased, of course, because I too am trying to make money from information products in the same general area. But I view it as a good guys v. bad guys thing. If the good guys don't play to win, the bad guys (people advocating bad or weak ideas) win. The good guys position themselves to win when they earn high fees. The profits you make from a seminar can be used for marketing so that you get a growth cycle going. Earning a few bucks on a book doesn't do that.
There are some who question the ethics of charging too much for information products. I do not. I believe we will have more good information products when good information products bring in bigger profits. Where I am tough on ethics is re the integrity of the ideas being put forth. Really good ideas take a long time to develop. Those who put in the time and effort merit a big payoff, in my assessment.
I hope you become a multi-millionaire, Jacob. And I hope lots of others learn by listening to your stuff and that they take it in new directions and that they become multi-millionaires too. My view is that, the more millionaires we create (so long as the ideas have integrity), the better for everyone concerned.
Rob

Q

Post by Q »

I agree nearly 100% with Rob's comments. Is a force for good. Look at all the people who buy supplements and vitamins and they do no good at all.
Instead of listening to their doctor about exercise and eat right.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

On page 132 filling in the final edits. Pinged the cover designer for a change in spine width. The ball is mostly in my court.
The book page has been updated accordingly.

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

What is the book's title and about when can I expect to be able to order a hard-copy version on Amazon?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Cashflow - All public info is on the book page of the blog (link above).
I'd give it 2 weeks, optimistically. Much of this time is due to things out of my control. The "ball is not in my court" for very long times.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

One step closer ...
http://www.createspace.com/3457832
It will be available here first. A few days later, it should be available on amazon.
My best estimate is sometime next week, now.

(It depends on US Postal Services ;-)

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't go for Early Retirement EXTREME with the "extreme" in big red letters across the "early retirement" part ;)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

LOL
Maybe I'll do that on the book marks I intend to make to promote it.

Marius

Post by Marius »

Tim Ferriss just launched his new book. He is really good at making people buy his product. The autographed edition is a nice touch.
Maybe some inspiration can be found there.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2QkEeH/ww ... hour-body/

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

ooooh I'd love an autographed copy (of the ERE book), except I think it's mailed directly from createspace so I'm not sure how thatd work.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Marius - This kind of promotion works on the theory that some people buy books simply because they're popular (it's true). The trick then is to get on those bestseller lists. Now, "bestseller" is a very relative figure. Amazon, for instance, updates theirs very often, so if you can get a few hundred people to buy your book within a narrow time span, you can get pretty high on the list in a narrow subject category. To get people to buy it you can offer incentives. I believe a certain pf-blogger offered iPod's or something at random using sales receipts as lottery tickets.
Another method is to hire virtual assistants to write positive reviews. There are rumors :-P
I don't really know what to think about these kind of tricks.
I'd obviously like to sell a lot of books and these marketing tricks help to do that, but I definitely would prefer that people don't regret buying it because they feel they got suckered into it.
I care about my karma so to speak :)
@AlexOliver - Bring it to a meetup? I am trying to figure out how to sell it outside the regular channels (createspace, amazon, bookstores on request). I think I'd have to find out how to charge sales tax unless I sell it in person to retailers who are capable of charging the sales tax for me. There's also hope if you don't live in California. In this case, I don't think I have to charge sales tax.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Incidentally, I was kinda hoping that it'd arrive today. Nope! My guess is that the package is stuck in Table Rock, Wyoming.
(When we moved to CA, we sat in a blizzard for 6+ hours somewhere near Table Rock, because three semis had collided in front of us. There was nothing on the radio except some local high school basketball scores.)

OurLifeInc.

Post by OurLifeInc. »

I take it the book is out? I just happened to hit the createspace link to see if it was and noticed the buy now button.....already bought my copy! :)

buzz

Post by buzz »

Is there any way I can buy it using paypal? Got some extra cash in there now.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@OurLifeInc - You got it right. It's been out for about 10 minutes. I suspect you're my first buyer. Thank you :)
@buzz - Actually I don't know. Currently, the only way to get it is through createspace. If they don't offer it, you'll have to wait for it to appear on amazon. Createspace's shipping ($3.61) is slightly cheaper than amazon's ($3.99) unless you get Super-saver shipping.

buzz

Post by buzz »

Amazon doesn't accept paypal...

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Did you check if createspace does? If not, I'd imagine some would start selling their copy on eBay at some point.