Synthesizing Optimal Solutions

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
slowtraveler

Synthesizing Optimal Solutions

Post by slowtraveler »

It seems to me from viewtopic.php?t=3509 that ERE is about synthesizing optimal solutions based on personal preferences and a broad skill base. I'm trying to learn how to think about solving problems so I can most efficiently meet my wants/needs.

In the example of bread: buying yeast, flour, and salt to mix then cook rather than producing/harvesting any of these ingredients is the optimal solution since it costs about 15 minutes of labor to make several days of food for my whole family and this saves around $25 after tax. To harvest salt, flour, or cultivate salt would take far longer and require additional land + tools.

I want a laptop case to protect my computer, I could buy a laptop backpack but that'd be a pain to carry around and I prefer a single hiking backpack as they support weight better and are more multi-purpose for my life so I'm getting a laptop case. Making one is too much time/energy but I notice a wide variety in the $2-20 range on Craigslist near me. Is this the optimal solution or should I look for a free one or simply use cardboard with foam to protect my laptop?

BRUTE

Re: Synthesizing Optimal Solutions

Post by BRUTE »

shouldn't be much more expensive even new.

plastic stuff, in brute's experience, is usually cheaper to simply buy. plastic only works at scale, and quality actually improves with scale vs. other materials like wood.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Same prices on Amazon as Craigslist.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Felipe wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm
It seems to me from viewtopic.php?t=3509 that ERE is about synthesizing optimal solutions based on personal preferences and a broad skill base.
Maybe, but that's not what I got out of that link. I read that as "ERE = stoic renaissance man who has multiple solutions to any given problem."

In your bread example, I think ERE says you should know how to make bread, but if bread is cheaper than you labor, just buy it. And if wild yams are free, you could go with those, too. Or maybe your neighbor has a garden, and he doesn't know how to fix his broken aermotor windmill, but you do. You fix it for him and he gives you some veggies.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

"stoic renaissance man who has multiple solutions to any given problem"
vs
"synthesizing optimal solutions based on personal preferences and a broad skill base"

Aren't these the same thing?
renaissance man can come up with different solutions because of his broad skill and pick the optimal solution.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Yes. But I said it douchier.