Attic Insulation

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Frugalitifree

Attic Insulation

Post by Frugalitifree »

I've had a look through the forum and there doesn't seem to be a topic addressing insulation. So here goes...

I've recently bought a house(ERE proofed, promise) and would like to insulate the attic space. Before I go to the expense of buying insulation I was wondering if anyone here had insulated their attic spaces using cheaper alternative materials or methods. I've read tightly packed paper can be used.

Would appreciate any advice/resources people may point me in the direction of. Thank you

Dragline

Re: Attic Insulation

Post by Dragline »

I'm afraid I haven't, but whatever you use needs to be fire retardant. If you do something unconventional, it also may detract from the value of the home (or cause it to fail a home inspection) when you try to sell it.

Here's some general info, including the types of insulation available: https://energy.gov/energysaver/types-insulation

No reason you could not install yourself in most spaces.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

bryan

Post by bryan »

I haven't thought about attic/garage insulation much even though I've thought about insulation a good deal. I think the commodity (blow-in) stuff will do a good job and is worth it. Would not generally recommend paper, unless you are just incredibly cheap, in which case maybe collecting blankets, wooly things, foam, or even cardboard might be better.. Just be sure you aren't compressing away the R-value as you add more material.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/insulation ... _Table.php

Don't forget about thermal bridging. You will want to hit those bridges first (with better insulators), before applying the main insulation.

I'm pretty sure I would turn it into a project and be tempted to overspend on it..

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Because nobody has mentioned it yet, ventilation.

Ventation is critical to the life of your roof. Google image search bird block, soffit vents, gable vent, and peak vent, roof vents, so you can tell what form of venting is currently used.

Usually, there are vents low, and a different type up high, to lose heat/moisture by convection.

The worst insulation f up I've seen resulted in a pump house rotting completely away in 7 years. Always make certain that water can leave anything you want to seal...

Attic insulation is totally DIY. YouTube will have lots of videos.

Frugalitifree

Post by Frugalitifree »

Cheers to one and all. I will avoid the (somewhat silly) paper option. My house is particularly old(and charming in my eyes) so will have to investigate ventilation amongst other things. This will be part of my summer project. That and fine tuning my FI skill set.