Encryption

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
sky

Encryption

Post by sky »

Is there a way to send encrypted text/html/data from and to my home PC to surf the web without my internet provider knowing what I am looking at?

Gilberto de Piento

Re: Encryption

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

VPN?

Chris

Post by Chris »

If the sites you frequent use HTTPS, the content is encrypted.

The name resolution (DNS) is not encrypted though, and is probably handled by your internet provider. So that would mean they'd know which sites you visit, but not the content (if transmitted by HTTPS).

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Chris wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 9:26 pm
The name resolution (DNS) is not encrypted though, and is probably handled by your internet provider. So that would mean they'd know which sites you visit, but not the content (if transmitted by HTTPS).
There are solutions for DNS encryption but you are still making a connection to an IP address, if you want to hide the site you are visiting then it's either a VPN or Tor.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Tor browser.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

When I wish to browse privately, I use Epic Browser.

The defaults on the browser are with privacy in mind (no history, cookies, tracking kept).

Plus, has one-click encrypted proxy to turn on Epic's built-in encrypted proxy. This hides your IP address and encrypts all your data when you want to be very private.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

VPN is the standard solution. Like anything, security will vary wildly based upon vendor. Do you trust the new man in the middle more than your ISP?

True anonymity/privacy is very hard to achieve online. The best you can do is add layers of secure practices, hoping nobody is motivated enough to peel them all back.

sky

Post by sky »

What would be a good country to get a VPN in?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

What do you want to avoid :D ?
They can always find out what you do. It is connected with how illegal activity you consider :mrgreen: .

Internet footprint you leave is enormous.
Use VPN of country which does not have extradition laws with yours and does not have strong data storage laws. But it must be reliable in terms of technical isssues.

Check it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road ... s_Ulbricht

sky

Post by sky »

My activity is not illegal and is pretty boring. I don't like the use of my data for advertising purposes and for political manipulation. I use Google but find its use of data to be excessive. Google has been relatively ethical in the use of data. I don't trust internet service providers at all.

The future seems to be more corporations and government agencies with complete logs of browsing history, written communication and 24/7/365 audio from smartphones. It is sad what has happened to the internet.

I am just wondering if there is a way to encrypt the signals from my devices to some outside service which would stop monitoring by my ISP.

jim234

Post by jim234 »

The Opera browser has a built in VPN you can activate. So the ISP won't see what you are doing, but the Opera VPN guys will know.
Tor browser is another option for web surfing.

For email GPG+Thunderbird+Enigmail plugin will set you up for safe emails.

Bitmessage for when you want to prevent both content and who you are speaking to from leaking.