Stationary bike as laundry agitator

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
daylen

Stationary bike as laundry agitator

Post by daylen »

Need engineering brains!

What is the simplest way to use the mechanical energy generated from a regular stationary bike to agitate laundry in a 5-gallon bucket?

Go!

bryan

Re: Stationary bike as laundry agitator

Post by bryan »

First thing that comes to mind would be attach a rod or two to the wheels or pedals which then goes to a custom piston (like a donut, or shaped to provide just enough agitation) or two in the bucket? This would be a reciprocating engine.

edit: at that point you could customize the tower the rods connect to to suit your needs (gearing) I guess? Googling for "antique washing machine" gives some further ideas (instead of piston you could have a rotating thing, etc). Though I would think rods to the wheels/pedals is simplest. Otherwise you would need a wheel that accommodates a belt?

daylen

Post by daylen »

I agree that using the pedals would be easiest. The wheel on my bike is smooth without a good way to accommodate a belt. Another problem is that the pedals only come off the ground by about 3-4 inches at the lowest point, and I would rather not have to raise the bike.

What if I used a simple pulley to raise and lower a an x-shaped bar at the bottom of the bucket? Would that be enough agitation?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »