Toilet paper and safety razors

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Toilet paper and safety razors

Post by jacob »

So how much do you guys spend on toilet paper per year? And how many assets do you need to cover that (multiply by 25-33x)?

I just installed one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JG2DETM/ (paid $35) I've been thinking about getting one for a while as a way to reduce ongoing expenses a bit more. It kinda makes a lot of sense to use water rather than paper. I mean if you get shit on your body anywhere else, you probably wouldn't insist on just using some TP to wipe it off, right? But but but ... because tradition!

I estimate TP requirements are down by 60-70% so far. It takes some experimenting to figure out what the "best method" is so give it a chance :mrgreen:

So this is another good example of investing in an asset to avoid a recurring outgoing cashflow.

In other news, I talked DW into switching to a safety razor instead of wasting more money on cartridge razors. Got her a Merkur. Instant convert! See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/h ... -shave-my/

Any other bathroom tricks?

OTCW

Re: Toilet paper and safety razors

Post by OTCW »

I can stretch a safety razor for a whole year by keeping it dry and clean after every use.

Haven't used shampoo in about 9 years or so. Just water.

Mental note when shopping is to buy bar soap when it is 10 cents an ounce or less.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

jacob wrote:... I mean if you get shit on your body anywhere else, you probably wouldn't insist on just using some TP to wipe it off, right? But but but ... because tradition!...
Usually the comparison goes:
Have you ever dropped a nutella sandwich on a light tan couch and tried wiping it clean with a dry rag?
No?
Then why are people in the western world still using toilet paper?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

You can't use a bidet to blow your nose? <wisecrack>

Actually, the downside in my world is that it requires electricity to use the bidet... even if it's powered with water pressure, I doubt our well produces enough water pressure to be effective and the well needs electricity.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@FBeyer -- You have completely ruined Nutella for me. :P

J_

Post by J_ »

@Jacob: I just saw you walking with a strange wet something on your behind...
There are bidets which have also a drying component....
Where is the making life simple idea gone...? There used to be old papers...
But I love your bravery to write and do....

Ego

Post by Ego »

George the original one wrote:Actually, the downside in my world is that it requires electricity to use the bidet... even if it's powered with water pressure, I doubt our well produces enough water pressure to be effective and the well needs electricity.
Elbow nozzle on a gas powered pressure washer will do the job. BIFL. Has many alternative uses and can literally make the SHTF. What more could you ask for? :geek:

bryan

Post by bryan »

Looks like @jacob just wasted $35 + electricity costs instead of just wetting his hand (repeatedly from the bowl) and wiping his arse until it's all clean? Wash your hand afterwards? :D I guess his DW would veto it.. Also awkward if he has guests over. :lol:

I've been wetting the TP, once the bum is just about clean, for a few years now.. It's a requirement of mine to have 0% chance of skid marks since I re-use my expensive underwear multiple days w/o washing. To think skid marks are a sort of normal thing is pretty gross!

No bathroom tricks to report here*.. Maybe make it a habit to only poop in the evening or afternoon? Less of a bathroom trick and more of a life hack.. If you ever find yourself away from familiar toilets, it is pretty much always easiest to find an accommodating one in the afternoon/evening than in the morning. You don't want to wake up in a strange place and have your #1 priority being to poo.

Does anyone use their urine (or poo) for anything? Interesting composting toilets, etc?

[*] probably due to only ever renting, not owning, my bathroom.
Last edited by bryan on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Wonderful topic. Here is someone who has also given alternatives to TP a lot of thought:

http://wikihow.com/Make-a-Substitute-for-Toilet-Paper

All solutions given are very low tech - and free

1. Use reusable clothes / rags, including a 6 step manual.
2. Rinse with a spray bottle.
3. Identify soft leaves, also called "lumberjack's toilet paper."
4. Use a smooth stone. An oval river stone is a common wiping tool in cultures without toilet paper, it says.

Especially no 2 could serve as a simple DIY version of Jacob's fancier arrangement.

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

When I visit my parents they often give me a package or two of premium toilet paper "just because" from the local Warehouse store. As well as a bunch of other food items to make up a "care package". My Dad started doing this when I first moved out over 10 years ago and he still keeps doing so because he likes to. We rarely have to buy toilet paper. I use an electric razor and electric hair clippers for my haircuts.

I am interested in ERE oral hygene. Can one get by with a basic toothbrush used for longer than the typical 3 months? Does anyone have an electric toothbrush? I used to have one before I knew about ERE, but then I couldn't justify the expensive replacement heads so I use a manual toothbrush. I find if I don't use a "firm" toothbursh I can't get the plaque off my teeth. But also with the firm brissled toothbrush there is the risk of gum damage along the gumline. I fear I'll need dental surgery in the future becasue on my receeding gumline.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:So how much do you guys spend on toilet paper per year? And how many assets do you need to cover that (multiply by 25-33x)?
I checked with accounting. She buys the 12 roll package of Scott tp only when it goes on sale at CVS. Cost is $6.88. Two rolls a week on average, though we supplement that with rolls pilfered from recently vacated tenants who always leave packages of tp and cleaning supplies. So, we spend about $60 a year.

I mentioned before that we had a long layover at Narita in Tokyo and spent the day lounging in the comfortable daybeds next to the Toto gallery where they show off their state of the art toilets. I used every one of the toileting systems over the course of the day and found them to be incredibly effective at getting things clean. The drying jets of warm air made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

My plumber tells me we have the highest water pressure he has seen in his career, could be interesting :)

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Dollar Tree sells 10 pack disposable razors (twin blade) for $1.

Since I shave a couple of times week, annual cost is $12 or less depending on razor reuse.

Also big can of shaving gel for $1

Chris

Post by Chris »

See, it's topics like this that keep me coming back to this forum.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Chris wrote:See, it's topics like this that keep me coming back to this forum.

+1

I spend far too little to even care, but it's great to know I could optimize even this. It does add "one more thing that can break" to the list, so there is that.

For shaving, I have a $10 hair trimmer that I use every couple weeks. Bought 3 years ago, annual cost is now down to ~ $3, so 3/.03=$100 so I am now 'shaving independent'.

WRT to bathroom optimiztion, the ladies on here might consider this as a replacement to tampons. It's healthier and saves a ton of money.

jacob wrote:In other news, I talked DW into switching to a safety razor instead of wasting more money on cartridge razors. Got her a Merkur. Instant convert! See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/h ... -shave-my/

Any other bathroom tricks?
Is that Merkur disposible, head-replacable, never need replacing ever?? DW manages to squeeze 6+ months out of disposable safety razors.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

So does that bidet actually work, Jacob? I guess I never believed they would work, I don't know why. I've never even seen one. The cold water down there might serve to wake me up in the morning, too. Do you just use the toilet paper to dry off? A dry wash rag should work for that, if you're really clean.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I use a small watering can with a long narrow spout instead of or in addition to toilet paper. Trick I picked up from Iranian-Americans. The advantage is that you can fill it with warm water from the sink. I use and wash/dry/re-use (not advised by manufacturer) Instead Soft Cups rather than tampons. The advantage is that you can have sex without making a mess. My disposable razor expense is maybe $10/year, so I haven't explored alternatives.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@enigmaT120 - Yeah, it works(*). Use toilet paper to dry, finish, and "verify". The cold water takes some days to get used to. I don't see this as a binary choice. It's rather an "investment" to reduce (but not eliminate) TP usage with a 6-12 month payback period. If it breaks down before that, I've lost money.

(*) There's obviously a learning curve. Don't expect 100% success on the first go ... and whatever you do, don't dial it up to Level 4 or you might end up in the next room :lol: