Top Car Tires with Bike Pump

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Scott 2

Top Car Tires with Bike Pump

Post by Scott 2 »

I did it this evening, all four tires in about twenty minutes - around one psi per tire per minute. My arms are a little tired, but it's not nearly as bad as the internet would lead one to believe.

Much better than trying to find a gas station with a working compressor, then pumping quarters into it, fumbling around in the cold dark parking lot.

black_son_of_gray

Re: Top Car Tires with Bike Pump

Post by black_son_of_gray »

I do this every season... floor pump, takes 5 mins. I have no clue what my neighbors think of me, though.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Among autocrossers, it's fairly common to bring pressures up between runs, though they typically use a foot pump.
Last edited by George the original one on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

C40

Post by C40 »

Be careful not to get the pump too hot. It could screw up the pumping seal. How hot is too hot? I don't know. Depends on the type of seal I suppose. (Some use cork!)

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I liked a foot pump. I just kept it in the trunk for convenience. Small and effective.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

This is the pump I have, how hard is it to get the seal too hot?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UV8I ... ref=plSrch

Looks like some sort of rubber seal.

I would assume in a twenty degree garage it's about impossible to do, but I think this might be my all season solution moving forward. Anything to avoid leaving the house.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

My air compressor is one of my most-used tools.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Scott 2 - I have a shitty Walmart floor pump. I've never ruined the seal and I've done six RV tires which are 60+ PSI and much bigger, so harder to pump and more pumps per PSI. I never ruined the seal but once the rubber in the hose got hot enough to burst (I just cut the damaged section off and rebuilt it).

Just consider that the volume you're moving against pressume (-PdV) is actual work and that some of it goes into heat. If you pump like a maniac, the heat effect would be higher than if you're slow and steady, etc.

So hard to say exactly where the failure point is ...

C40

Post by C40 »

Again, I don't know how hot is too hot. But just feel the pump every now and then and if it's really hot, take a break. I doubt a foot pump will get as hot as a bicycle pump.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Yeah, a decent compressor would have made the job easier. As heretical as it is here, I avoid manual labor and don't own much in the way of tools. My life is setup so others spend their time and energy on that stuff, while I have fun.

Jacob - RV tires up to 60 psi sounds like a lot of work. My car only requires 30 psi.

C40 - just feel the pump, of course. That should've been obvious...

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

For tire topping off, I use cordless inflators that run off a drill type battery. They are convenient to use, especially if there's an auto shut off setting.