Adulting

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Adulting

Post by Ego »

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Adulting

Post by jacob »

Haha ... sometimes I wonder whether running a pf-blog/website isn't really like running an adulting school for adults.

It's funny how the idea of childhood is a recent invention that's not more than about 100-200 years old tops. Looking at medieval paintings, these guys didn't even recognize childhood as a thing. Baby Jesus is pictured with the dimensions of a small adult rather than a child. Conversely ... I certainly know/see "children" in their mid twenties complaining about needing to do some #adulting because the dirty clothes hamper is full or they need to pay their cell phone bill before service gets shut off, fill up the fridge or cook something more complicated than pouring milk on cornflakes.

You can find adulting blogs or check out #adulting #sohard on twitter or facebook. It's pretty hilarious watching Millennials whine about tying shoelaces and why all shoes don't come with velcro. In all fairness, I bet boomers felt the same way about GenX. And so on ...

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

One one hand, that should be an onion article. On the other hand, hey, they're teaching "budgeting".
jacob wrote:It's funny how the idea of childhood is a recent invention that's not more than about 100-200 years old tops.
Not exactly childhood I guess, but this is quite good: https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Prehisto ... 0140254153

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@Ego- You can do this at your complex in addition to your box making class! :lol:

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

jacob wrote:It's pretty hilarious watching Millennials whine about tying shoelaces and why all shoes don't come with velcro.
It's hard to find Velcro, but slip-ons are easier anyways for this boomer! At least it's something I have in common with Millennials :lol:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Coming from one who had one of my younger Millennial tribe members living with me for 2 months, this 'hate of adulting' is amusing insofar that it is adulting-at-a-distance.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Hah, sometimes if my laces come undone while out in public, I don't bother to tie them back up, particularly if I'm rushing to get somewhere.., it happened the other day in the supermarket, much to the distress of a nearby boomer. So much so that he had to tap me on the shoulder to inform me of my indiscretion.

DW has to keep reminding me that this millennial is 30 years of age next year and that I need to grow up quick :shock: :lol:

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

George the original one wrote:
jacob wrote:It's pretty hilarious watching Millennials whine about tying shoelaces and why all shoes don't come with velcro.
It's hard to find Velcro, but slip-ons are easier anyways for this boomer! At least it's something I have in common with Millennials :lol:
I tie my running shoes once, when I first get them, making sure they are tight enough to not fall off but not so tight they bruise the top of my foot. After that they are slip ons.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That's nuts.

The biggest failure of industrialized education is that it teaches people that if they want to learn something they have to learn it from someone else. C'mon people, figure it out. Life just isn't that hard, especially with the google machine at your fingertips.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

A bunch was late for the first lesson on time management? That is some fine comedy right there!

But it's only funny until the older generation thinks "am I going to have to depend on those people in my advanced age?" Thank goodness for assisted suicide.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Farm_or wrote: But it's only funny until the older generation thinks "am I going to have to depend on those people in my advanced age?" Thank goodness for assisted suicide.
Immigration

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Ego wrote:
Farm_or wrote: But it's only funny until the older generation thinks "am I going to have to depend on those people in my advanced age?" Thank goodness for assisted suicide.
Immigration
Japanese robots.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

+1 vexed

I also don't tie my shoe laces if they come out even if I'm not in a hurry. If the aglet starts coming under the other foot, I will simply shove it inside the shoe to prevent tripping.

If the aglet comes out again, I'll tie the lace standing/balancing myself on one feet. Expecting sitting down, and standing on one feet, no other way like squatting or bending over or keeping my foot over something seems comfortable to tie laces.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Oh, I think this trend is really being over-blown. My silent generation father grew up upper-middle-class in a city. He had a lawyer/rosarian father, a stay-at-home mother, an older sister, and a maid in his childhood household. He had no home economics skills whatsoever, except for a few he picked up when he did his two years in the army accounting corp in Japan. He mowed the lawn wearing black wingtips, black socks, short sleeve dress shirt and plaid Bermuda shorts. My mother, who was no great shakes in the domestic department herself, except for such arcane skills as flower arrangement and appropriate cocktail glass selection, went over the bend due to bi-polar disease when I was around 11, so my sisters and I had to teach ourselves how to cook or forever suffer being fed the most horrendous selection of TV dinners or burgers burned black on the grill by our father. Due to his military training, my father thought the proper manner to conduct weekly housecleaning was to wake up his "troops" pre-dawn on Saturday by briskly whipping off our blankets, and then direct us to pay especial attention to hand-scrubbing and waxing the atrium floor and making tight bed corners, but nothing was ever dusted, and the laundry was only done on an as-needed basis. I had to read many books on the topic of household management in order to overcome my early training.

OTOH, my millennial generation daughter can make pierogies and pie from scratch and alter her own clothing.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I sometimes worry for my generation...which is why I've lead an "adulting" class at my college before.

It was bad. Real bad. It's absolutely terrifying how people from even upper middle class, educated backgrounds have gone through literally 18-22 years of institutionalized education without learning how to effectively cook, clean, set self-initiated life goals, save, invest, etc. "Opening up a brokerage account" was treated like a technical miracle by the audience. I sometimes wonder whether PF not being taught in our school system is intentional...teach them how to run the machines and nothing more and all that.

------------------------

Disclaimer: to be fair, I did make a post on here a few years ago treating opening a brokerage account like brain surgery. ;)

Also, I don't think Gen X's or Boomers get a pass. Whether from finance standpoint (minimal savings), or health (2/3's overweight or obese), or relationship statistics (double-digit divorce rate), they're not doing well, either. Perhaps the majority of the US is currently "bad" at #adulting?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Lumping everyone from a generation into this is unfair. You and the animal (and others here) are proof of that.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has tied a groom's tie at a wedding. incredible how some humans haven't thought through what they're going to wear.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't think I could tie a tie on somebody else. No mortician job for me, oh well.

Did

Post by Did »

Deferred adulthood can be handy for kicking a few goals. The mundane routine of cash poor adult life can make it harder to achieve. You just spend so much time surviving (call it being a renaissance man if you like).