Adulting

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Adulting

Post by Ego »

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Great points, especially on how social media and smart phones have created a culture of instant gratification. Following the implication of his argument though, it seems that the ideal result in his argument's eye is for millenials to patiently reach the "top of the mountain" in career, relationships, etc. In other words, likely working for a more generation-tailored corporate for years to come.

That idea is too close to careerism and a "more more more" goal system for me; a mentality I often see in entrepreneur circles. I wonder if this constant growth way of thinking, and especially the entrepreneurs that espouse it--this particular entrepreneur being a highly educated white male with a NW of $15M living in NYC (very common characteristics in that tribe btw)--are one of the major results of neoliberal capitalism.

All that is to say: maybe the alternative for millenials would simply be determining whether careerism, for example, is even the right mountain to climb? We've seemed to cling well to other life narratives, like organic farming, permatravel, or non-profit grassroots work.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »