My Dell Computer Doesn't Play Nice With Windows 10

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
TimeTravel

My Dell Computer Doesn't Play Nice With Windows 10

Post by TimeTravel »

I tried upgrading my Dell Optiplex 740 Midtower computer from Windows 7 to Window 10. Seemed to work fine until the Windows 10 Anniversary update. After that, the computer would crash (BSOD) every few days. After some troubleshooting, I've come to the conclusion that an onboard chip on the motherboard doesn't have a Windows 10 driver that causes the crash. In the meantime, I've gone back to Windows 7 and the Dell is back to being stable.

What has my head scratching is looking at ebay, I see a lot of Dell Optiplex 740 Midtower computers on sale with Windows 10. What am I missing? Did they have the Dells working on Windows 10 somehow? Or are they a crash waiting to happen?

theanimal

Re: My Dell Computer Doesn't Play Nice With Windows 10

Post by theanimal »

Same thing happened to me. Only difference is Lenovo laptop. I got frustrated trying to figure it out/fix it and it's been sitting on the backburner for about a week now.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I also had issues when upgrading to Win10. Windows updates were not installing properly, and I experienced lots of BSOD. I eventually figured out that it was caused by a bad Wifi / Network Adapter driver. I deleted the existing driver and reinstalled the latest, and I have had zero problems since.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

Win 10 update was a terror on my Acer too

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Dunno if it's an issue here (but I think the odds are decent!). But based on a scattered history of running old computers (10+ years) and weird ones (random hardware), the biggest problems always occur when you're eventually at the fringe of the herd wrt OS/driver software vs hardware. With OS's, you wanna be like a zebra. Always at the center of the herd.

Of course there a cost that. Owning newish/standard hardware and having to continually upgrade :-P

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

I read that if upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10, mostly that will work fine. From Win 7 to 10 is more iffy. I'm gonna stick to Win 7 for the time being (have until Jan 2020 before Microsoft pulls the plug on Win 7 security updates).

Did

Post by Did »

I have a HP laptop with Windows 10. Don't do it:
- key sticking virtually;
- speakers often distorted when say watching netflix;
- skype often distorted to the point of being unusable (google hangouts better);
- conflict with wifi and bluetooth;
- 100 percent disk usage causing slow downs (wide spread problem if google).

Bit shitty because good brand on paper.

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

It's a bit of a purity ritual for nerds, but a fresh install(formatting the drive and then installing Windows) can solve a lot of odd problems. Doesn't take too long so might be worth a shot. You need something to backup to, but you should have a backup solution anyways.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Windows 8/8.1/10 has a "Reset this PC" that does the same as a fresh install. If you install the same drivers though you are likely to have the same issues. You should backup your data before running this of course.