So You Think You Can Trade?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Dragline

So You Think You Can Trade?

Post by Dragline »

It appears that some combination of "You Think You Can Dance" and "Shark Tank" has made it to the internet.

I have recently heard a couple interviews of Jack Schwager (trader and author of "Market Wizards" and "New Market Wizards" fame) where he talks about a new site/business he is involved with called "Fund Seeder". The purpose of Fund Seeder is to identify proficient securities traders out there and eventually fund them or make them available for funding by hedge funds, etc.

Listen to this podcast starting at about 28:00 if you are interested: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/201 ... ness-audio

The rest of the podcast is pretty interesting, too.

tylerrr

Re: So You Think You Can Trade?

Post by tylerrr »

that's a great idea to find talented traders.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

This reminds me of the turtle traders. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/tr ... rading.asp

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

jacob wrote:This reminds me of the turtle traders. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/tr ... rading.asp
Yes, I've read about this....It's amazing how basic fear psychology rules the markets and sabotages most of us while trading.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Schwagers books were inspirational. He used some pretty novel filtering techniques to find some of his interviews and hence found guys who were pretty much unknown but wildly successful.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yeah, the wizard books are great if nothing else for the observation that outperformance odds are astronomically impossible under the random walk model and yet they happen; the observation that outperformance comes at a heavy price (extreme focus and work load); and the observation that being at the right place (having the right focus) at the right time is quite important too.

This community is actually quite small, so it's not hard to find more guys once you find some guys. One of the interviewees in one of the books was my boss and I once saw a job ad from the guy who took the opposite side of the bet against Dennis Richie and seriously considered applying as it was right up my alley. I'm two degrees of Kevin Bacon from Michael Burry (as seen in The Big Short movie). And I'm not particularly well-connected either. It's is indeed a really small world. But really no different than how you're bound to run into a few Nobel prize winners if you go into high energy physics or whatever.