Blocked sink success

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Did

Blocked sink success

Post by Did »

Modest win yesterday for me. Nothing to you practical types but I was pleased as punch yesterday to fix a blocked drain in our kitchen.

Problem: water not going down and sink filling up

Attempt 1: Use over-sized hand as a plunger (has worked before)
Fail

Attempt 2: Use hot water as we put too much fat down the sink (has worked before)
Fail

Attempt 3: Wife uses baking powder and vinegar
Fail

Attempt 4: Use plunger wife bought
Fail

Attempt 5: Take off grease trap and clean it
Fail

Looking grim.... then:

Attempt 6: Put garden hose through window, shove it down the pipe after first kinking it so it can handle the corner. Turn it on with a rubbish bin under the pipe to catch the water when it is forced back up as blocked (scary as we have flooded the kitchen before and the floors can't handle water).
After 30 seconds..... success! Whatever crap was under out kitchen floor was pushed out of the way by the force of the water from the hose.

Wife couldn't believe it. And obviously I'm still proud of it.

The old working me would have never contemplated doing almost any of this.............. Just work some more and pay someone to overcharge was my usual method if I couldn't rope in a family member.

steveo73

Re: Blocked sink success

Post by steveo73 »

I've fixed this a couple of times. The last time I couldn't get to the s-bend because it was the shower. I ran hot water down a couple of times and it cleaned it out.

Also - good job.
Last edited by steveo73 on Mon May 02, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Good job!

unno2002

Post by unno2002 »

Where we previously rented, the plumbing crew sent by the landlord tried a hose thing on the bathroom sink… Essentially it’s like a balloon that goes in the pipe, the water pressure inflates the balloon then the water is SUPPOSED to force the gunk along the drainpipe.. They put it in, and went outside to check the drain “cleanout” in the yard for when the flow started…

Well, the clog must have been somewhere after where the vent pipe to the roof connects to the sink drain… And the roof vent pipe was rusted or broken inside the wall… It was like the wall cavity filled then burst out flooding the hall, bathroom and back bedroom…