Collet wrench set

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Collet wrench set

Post by jacob »

I have a bunch of old power tools (thanks ffj) but finding collet wrenches for them is a pain. I tried looking around for a "collet wrench set", but that doesn't seem to be a thing. I'm probably searching for the wrong thing. What am I missing?

I was thinking of using cone wrenches (for bikes) ...

Ego

Re: Collet wrench set

Post by Ego »

You could grind down a cheap crescent wrench on a bench grinder or buy an adjustable cone wrench.

Alternatively, If the nut is not cranked down too hard you can use calipers.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Not too sure what you're looking for. Is this the collets on die grinders or disk grinders?

These might work.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... aQodXSsAdg

The ones that come with my air tools look pretty cheap. You may be able to make some with some pieces of cold rolled steel. Use a drill to hog out the slots then clean them up with a file. Perhaps we are thinking of something else.

These?

http://www.airgas.com/product/Tools-%26 ... aQodBYcEHw

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

ffj wrote:Which tools are we talking about? The router?

If you don't want to pay for the tools Sclass has found for you, then find a cheap set of wrenches from Taiwan for a few dollars and grind them down to fit your needs as Ego has suggested. Assuming you have a grinder. ;)
Hey. I'm sure he has a sidewalk somewhere.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@ffj - I think I'll end paying for Sclass's northerntool option. The thin wrenches I've found previously have seemed to flimsy for the job (I think they're mainly made for adjusting engine valves?!) but these seem alright and the set should cover everything (my current bike cone wrenches are, of course, metric). I found a collet wrench for the router on ebay, but it was rare (took some searching) and was almost $10. So now I'm looking for ones (15/16, also rare) that will take the blade off the circular saw. I do, of course, not have a grinder. I have sandpaper and a bastard file. I'll see if I have a 15/16 wrench I can file down.

Ego

Post by Ego »

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

This thread title jarred my memory in a bad way. Just last week I had a tool bag stolen with all my combination wrenches in it. Had completely forgotten the assortment of collet wrenches I had in there with them.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@ffj - Socket wrench ... of course. Pox on me for not thinking of that. It's so obvious now. ARGH! I even have a breaker bar and some iron pipe.

@Ego - That'll work. I'm married and my wife is strong like ox! I'm actually looking for a hand-powered drill press---the kind you mount on a beam in the barn. They usually cost a fortune. There's a lot of cool handpowered stuff from ways back.

@OTCW - If you're in the US I can flatrate mail you my surplus combination wrenches (Assorted Harbor Freight) and few other surplus handtools (Stanley stuff). PM me for details if interested.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I dumped one like this when I moved. Come to think of it it was exactly like that one. Some lucky dumpster diver got it. Embedded with thoriated welding electrode :lol: .