Homemade ice cream?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Sclass

Re: Homemade ice cream?

Post by Sclass »

brighteye wrote:No ice cream maker, don't think that would be worth it.
:)
It isn't. I've always questioned why I have mine. Totally ridiculous consumer item. Very anti ERE.
Peanut wrote:Unbelievably there are $400 and even $700 machines. But I'm thinking of a $30 Zoku or definitely something under $100.

@Sclass: How do you even store that monster? I bet your blend calls for the creation of a new ice cream category. Super duper premium?
My machine cost around $500 back in 1984. My family marketed this stuff for Simac. So we got a free machine or two. Or three come to think of it. They were a ridiculous conspicuous consumption item during the year of the yuppie. I also have several of the simac pasta makers in my garage. That's where I store the monster. It was tough during my lean years living in a one room flat. But I've kept this stuff since the 80s.

As for the recipe I just use what is in the manual. Standard Vanilla custard base. The above ingredients cooked up in a double boiler then strained into the machine and churned. The self contained refrigeration and the timer make it a set and forget operation. I tore it down recently and saw the huge compressor they have in there - the size of one in bar sized refrigerator. The low temperatures and thirty minute churn timer keep the ice crystals really small.

You can get the recipe here:

http://www.iloveicecream.net/wp-content ... manual.pdf

That website has some serious info for ice cream geeks. Also Chris Clarke's book "The Science of Icecream " is good. It explains how and why you need to form fine crystals.

lilacorchid

Re: Homemade ice cream?

Post by lilacorchid »

Definitely not cheaper to make for me in Canada, but it turns out richer so I can't eat all of it in one sitting. So I guess cost per sitting is less than if I buy the expensive stuff? :P Sure tastes good anyway.