DIY Clothes Rack?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
TopHatFox

DIY Clothes Rack?

Post by TopHatFox »

What a neat idea--who needs a closet when all you really need is a elevated stick to hang clothes on.

I think I can fashion myself one with some PVC pipes, black for good taste. Reminds me of Jacob's shelving from 2x4's and cinderblocks.

How would you make your own clothes rack?

Slevin

Re: DIY Clothes Rack?

Post by Slevin »

Depends on if you are making it to last a long time or to be flexible/modular etc. If going for longevity I would try and make the structure out of scrap metal/piping (lasts longer and would be more stable). PVC piping makes it much easier to disassemble and re-assemble.

I've been trying to work out how to make comfortable modular furniture for quite a while (i.e. couch etc to be easily movable in small vehicles)... Anyone have any ideas on this front? And why we are on the subject, could a modular furniture business be profitable?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Instructables is my favourite site for this sort of stuff:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Free-st ... hing-rack/

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Zalo - Why not just tie a clothes line between to fixed points?

@Slevin - I've built a couple of knock-down pieces of furniture that could be taken apart and folded flat. I think the reason that this is not more popular is that it adds complications and people rarely move their furniture anyway. The cost of the complication does not exceed the cost of a moving truck. Note that big things like beds are invariable knock-down because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get into the room. Or maybe look into something gridbeam.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Zalo wrote:...who needs a closet when all you really need is a elevated stick to hang clothes on...
Those who dislike dusting off clothes that would have been kept dust-free inside a closet.
A closet also serves as: pantry, instrument storage, keeping kettlebells off of the hardwood floor, storing books and board games, towels and shoes.
A free-standing rack takes up space that could just as well be used by a bix hunking box of dust-resisistant goodness known as a closet.

A wall-mounted rack above a bed, say, uses space you'd normally not use, but if you're going to place your rack on the floor, I can come up with plenty of reasons to use a closet instead.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

+1 the dust issue. can be managed by vacuuming a lot. brute's basic thinking is: if place comes with closet, use closet. if not, buy cheap (<$50 usually) clothes rack from IKEA or equivalent. in any case, buy a few nice clothes hangers.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Slevin - Also see http://www.amazon.com/Nomadic-Furniture ... 764330241/ ... it's a little dated with its 1970s obsession with quadrophonic "Dolby" systems, but might be what you're looking for.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

@jacob - Yes. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now it looks like I'm going to spend my weekend dumpster diving for boxes and tinkering with making furniture out of them. The best ones may even get coroplast versions (it's like improved cardboard) :D