reuse of pill bottles?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Riggerjack

reuse of pill bottles?

Post by Riggerjack »

When i turned 44, the warantee on my body expired. Now, I find myself taking what seems an abundance of pills, both meds, and vitamins.

And wondering what to use all these bottles for. I can't get refills in the same bottle. So I think of some kind of organizers, but can't find any thing I need to organize that works with these sizes. I get a variety of sizes from 1x3 to about 2x5 inches.

What do you use old prescription bottles for?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: reuse of pill bottles?

Post by jacob »

Travel container for electric tooth brush.
Storing/shipping watch movements and other fragile stuff.
Storing nuts and bolts.
Sewing kit.
Tire patch kit.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Air rifle pellets.
Fish hooks and split shot.
New and used exacto knife storage.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Well, I used a few to replace a damaged ammo box. Cleaning oil leaked and soaked into the cardboard. Serves me right for leaving ammo with the cleaning supplies...

Geo cached plastic bottles seem like a fail, for UV, and water resistance.

My lack of minimalistic cred shows in how few of the other excellent suggestions would work for me.

I haven't been fishing since my teens.
My pellets are still in their original tin, and I can't think of how a pill bottle would be an improvement.
My wife has a full xacto craft kit with wooden storage case. In our house, I handle brute force, and she handles finesse. And she likes her full sets of tools. So sewing kit is out for the same reasons. She made small pouches that strap to the seat posts for tire patch kits.

My screws and nails would need refills before dropping to levels that fit in pill bottles, I buy at least 5lbs at a time, and have storage bins set up for that already.

I don't mean to shoot down all these ideas, and when we get home, I'm try the pill bottle/sonicare combo...

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I've got about twenty tins of pellets for my various air guns. I've done the prepper thing with air ammo and rifles because it's so cheap to hoard ammo.

Since a tin holds nearly 500 rounds I hate carrying one into the field. I take ten pellets in a pill bottle. I dumped a tin of expensive British pellets into the dirt...once. Now I don't carry 100x what I need on a hunt.

The pill bottle keeps little visitors out of my pellets too. I guess I'm fooling myself that this is "locking up" the ammo but it gives an additional hurdle for a curious person to step over before they put the proverbial BB in the eye.

How about carrying illicit pills in legit bottles that have your printed prescriptions on the side? You know, like put ketamine pills in a bottle that says SClass Metoprolol. Just a thought. Do cops check the actual pills?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sclass wrote:How about carrying illicit pills in legit bottles that have your printed prescriptions on the side? You know, like put ketamine pills in a bottle that says SClass Metoprolol. Just a thought. Do cops check the actual pills?
Nah, why bother when you can use the spare pill bottle as a charger. Papillon. :shock:

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I grew up around drugs, and yes, prescription bottles are used as stash boxes. Less effective when they start getting worn, or your stash looks less "manufactured".

I have found that police behavior is almost entirely dependent on who they are dealing with. Growing up with criminals, every encounter with police, being treated like a criminal. Now, as middle aged taxpayer, that is how I'm treated. Cops didn't change, I did. I can't imagine getting searched without provoking it, now. But I expected to be hassled, searched, etc when I was young. I was 30 before I ever got a warning instead of a BS ticket, and was a little insulted. :oops:

But then I'm old enough that when I knew drug culture, most folks had their own needles, with decorations, and nobody would consider sharing. I still remember my mom's horror at AIDS being transmitted by shared needles. I had a similar reaction to the idea of fecal transplants, mentioned in another thread...

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Alright ... here's an application although it's probably better done with beer cans or tomato cans.

Punch/drill a hole in each bottom and glue them together end-to end (say 8 cans long ... or 20 big pill bottles). Then attach the 8x1s to each other by drilling a big hole in the last can to match it to the first can of the next line. You now have a grid where air can run zig-zag/snake-like from the lower-left to the upper right. Left-right-left-right-... Spray paint black. Put in front of sun-oriented window. This is a convective hot air heating system similar to a solar heating system with water.

I'm currently collecting 14oz tomato cans for this purpose. We'll see how it works next winter.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

So, aligning the rows from bottom to top is done to have the same air go thru more of the the tube. If all the vertical tubes were open, they would act as a parallel circuit, more volume, less Delta T, yet still the same total BTU's. Well probably slightly more, since there would be better air flow, and therefore greater heat transfer, but less noticeable difference.

For that matter, the solar energy entering that window is being transferred to the objects the light hits. Putting a solar collector in a window would really only be good for blocking the light from the room, without losing the solar heat, right?

For a solar collector to be effective, you would want to collect energy that wasn't going to be in the room already.

Or am I missing something?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

This seems like the scheme of adding a Terracotta pot to a candle, thus making a candle's heat "radiant".

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Riggerjack - You get to paint the cans black or put them outside [under] the window with intake and outtake hoses leading inside.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

OK, that could work. I always get thrown off by winter solar. We only get clear days in summer for the most part. If it's not hot, it is cloudy. And in winter, if it gets clear, it gets COLD. Cold, like the rest of the 48th parallel... :shock: