Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

Thanks Sclass. I have to admit, I feel a little bad about the books. They are for cosmetology school. In the bag with the books was an education contract. The person listed on the contract is not a tenant so I am not sure how they wound up in our trash. But this is what they charged her and presumably what the young woman who bought the book yesterday intends to use it for. Made me agree with jenny's point in the minimalism thread.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Tenant moved out and left a small sleep sofa and cubes. Listed them on craigslist for $35 to sell quickly. Sold within two hours to a dad and his hilarious four year old son for the son's playroom. The kid and I had a long talk about our recent bike accidents. Seems I have more in common with four year olds than I do with their parents. I'm sure some of you could have already told me that.

rube

Post by rube »

We received 2 tablets by 2 credit cards. Fee for 1st year for both creditcards was € 73,-. Credit cards will be cancelled after the first year.
Sold 1 tablet today for € 85,-.

Balance: 1 tablet for free + € 12

Ego

Post by Ego »

Two weeks ago I found a pair of dusty North Face gore-tex expedition pants with a trap door for $3 at the swap meet. Just sold them for $60 to a fairly famous climber (he holds speed records in Yosemite and twenty-some ascents of El Cap). He is going to Patagonia in January for an attempt on Fitz Roy and will use the pants there. This is why I sell stuff like this on craigslist rather than ebay. This afternoon I get to vicariously live his dirtbag lifestyle through youtube.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Ego wrote:Thanks Sclass. I have to admit, I feel a little bad about the books.
Yeah. That is sad. Especially the tuition.

I feel a little guilty about collecting textbooks in the big lecture halls in college to sell. My SO still complains that she may have been one of my victims. Quite possible since I focused on premed lectures with expensive books.

Well if people are dumb enough to leave their assets behind I guess they don't value them like we do. :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sclass wrote:
I feel a little guilty about collecting textbooks in the big lecture halls in college to sell. My SO still complains that she may have been one of my victims. Quite possible since I focused on premed lectures with expensive books.

Well if people are dumb enough to leave their assets behind I guess they don't value them like we do. :lol:
Wait a second. I want to hear that story. People just gave you their books?

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

No. I checked the large lecture halls on campus (Berkeley) to see if people left books. In a big class of 500 students one would often leave a book under a chair. I sold what I found.

Ego

Post by Ego »

A famous outdoor company repairs their gear for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7muOgpX8vaQ

Mrs. Ego has a purple bike and wanted a purple rain jacket. I found one of their jackets in XS with two massive holes in the sleeves at the swap meet. We sent it to their repair people who used the exact same material for the repair. Their skills are incredible. I cannot even tell that it had been repaired. It is literally as good as new.

Needless to say, she is thrilled. I admit, this is a bit of an ethical quandary as we were not the original purchaser. Opinions?

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

The company logo is prominently displayed. They want happy users for advertising.

Or the company motto is "earth friendly". Then you're holding them to their word.

Either way, I'd be guilt free.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks Toska2. That's what I was thinking.

A tenant was a previous graduate of a culinary academy. I am guessing that part of their student package was a set of Mercer professional knives. Found them in the trash.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I found a bike in a dumpster. Today I sold it for $20 on craigslist.

Ego, that is a wicked crash. Hope you are back to 100%.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Gilberto, thanks for your concern. Good as new. We've been mountain biking around Big Bear the last few days and I didn't think of the wrist once. Now I need (ahem) a downhill bike.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I want those knives! It's probably a good thing I don't live near you--I'd be your best customer.

I'm glad you're all healed up. :)

Ego

Post by Ego »

Got another 90s Specialized Stumpjumper this morning for $20 and two Gregory backpacks for $30 each. The bike needs a little work but I plan to sell it as is. The proceeds should more than cover the cost of the Stumpjumper I bought earlier in the year and have been using to mountain bike lately.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I normally have a few dozen things listed on craigslist at any one time. A few weeks ago I was selling a sleeping bag and just happened to have a thermarest I had purchased that morning rolled up behind my desk. The guy buying the bag noticed it and bought it too. Made me realize I should be prepared to upsell. The following week I successfully threw in another thermarest for only $40 to a different couple who were buying a down bag.

Today a foreign exchange student came to buy a wetsuit. I asked him if he needed anything else and almost sold him one of the backpacks I bought on Wednesday morning. I have a feeling he is going to come back after doing some research. He is here with three other guys who all need bikes. Lo and behold, I just happen to have several bikes I wouldn't mind parting with.

I am turning into a cheesy car salesman.... and I'm loving it. Hah!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote: I am turning into a cheesy car salesman.... and I'm loving it. Hah!
That's the Philly in you. Next you'll be selling your finds out of the back of a truck. ;)

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:
Ego wrote: I am turning into a cheesy car salesman.... and I'm loving it. Hah!
That's the Philly in you. Next you'll be selling your finds out of the back of a truck. ;)
Hah. I saw an old Mister Softie ice cream truck for sale on craigslist a while ago and thought about all the great things I could do with it. Funnily enough, none of them involved selling ice cream. :ugeek:

Ego

Post by Ego »

End of the month. I have two turnovers. One is moving out of state and is rather..... extravagant, so I am looking forward to the spoils. I think she's probably the person who left these JA Henckels knives I found a few days ago. They need to be cleaned but are in great shape.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Two trash finds.

A nice waffle iron that appears to have been used once.

This next one is crazy. On top of the trash I found an open fedex box. It is addressed to an apartment in my building but the name is someone who never lived here. Inside were two sets of Anaheim Ducks seasons tickets with a tote bag, lapel pins and lanyards. I called the Ducks ticket office to tell them I found the tickets. Left a message. We'll see what happens. First game was last night. I checked on the internet, $1100 per ticket. Sheesh!

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Whoa Ego you live in a goldmine. Those knives are nice.

A few touches with a serrated knife sharpener and a flat whetstone and those are BIFL.

The sharpener I show here is great for a bread knife like yours.

http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com ... ed#p107475