BIFL induction cookware

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
FBeyer

BIFL induction cookware

Post by FBeyer »

It looks like we're moving into a house with an induction hob.
This means replacing most of our cookware.

What brand are generally BIFL and produce a good line of stuff compatible with induction?

My google fu yields only decoration enthusiastic lame-housewife-like conversations about how stuff looks rather than how it cooks and holds up over time...

JL13

Re: BIFL induction cookware

Post by JL13 »

Can you not have the owner's leave their induction cookware? What's the likelihood of them needing it at their next location? Something that specialized should be considered an appliance that stays with the house IMO.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

JL13 wrote:Can you not have the owner's leave their induction cookware? What's the likelihood of them needing it at their next location? Something that specialized should be considered an appliance that stays with the house IMO.
Morbid relevance. The likelihood is nil. The former owner is dead. Her parents needed the cookware themselves. My heart is bleeding thinking about losing my only daughter so I'm not going to haggle about pots and pans. We're already paying 9000$ less than asking price, and that's 30000$ less than the estimated value of the house. I'm fine with buying some proper stuff for once.

Other than that I would tend to agree with you :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Well, for compatibility, stick a magnet to the bottom. If it sticks, it works. Maybe yours is good already (cast iron and certain stainless steels). For BIFL, I'd recommend no coating (eventually it flakes off). If handles are not part of the pot, they should be attached by bolts, not rivets (which come lose after many years of use). Also consider that you're probably going to move again and need it to be compatible with another cook top technology.

Cast iron is the only type that works with all heat sources. However, you can't have be lazy cook using it, e.g. anyone who needs teflon to avoid burning the food. Also it's a dog to maintain compared to all other types. My Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker is magnetic stainless steel, non-coated, the handles unscrew for easy transport and replacement. The company still sells the model and the replacement parts. I've had mine for 15 years now. I'd consider that BIFL but I'm sure there are others.

The alternative is not to overthink it and just go into a thrift store with a magnet and pick up something for a $1. That would be 95% of the solution.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I love my induction stove. Any 'all-clad' type cookware works. Cast iron works, but you have to be careful not to damage the cooktop if it's a heavy piece.

Ikea's stainless steel cookware works. I have their oumbarlig stock pot and sensuell sauteuse and use them more than all of my other cookware combined. That sauteuse is my favorite pot ever.

edited to add: A restaurant supply store would have a lot of choices at reasonable prices.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o03_s00

I have these, they do the job and they are inexpensive. I don't like the frying pan though, it burns too easily.

+1 for the kuhn rikon pc. My 7L model is great for big one pot dishes too.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

A lot of restaurant supply stuff is aluminum, so I suggest using the magnet test if you go that route. Some other options are enameled cast iron (e.g. Le Creuset, Staub) or French-style carbon steel sauté pans. The enameled cast iron is just as heavy as bare cast iron, but easier to maintain. The French carbon steel pans (De Buyer is a popular brand) have the same maintenance requirements as regular cast iron, but are a little lighter and more maneuverable.

@jacob, I would tend to say the opposite about handles, although I'm not sure I've ever seen a bolted handle. All the high-end, BIFL-ish brands use sturdy rivets, though there is a big difference between All-Clad rivets and Farberware rivets. Would you call these bolts or rivets? In searching for a picture of a bolted handle, I did find this article though (complete with info from patent applications: Rivets vs Welds

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@ML - Something that attaches like this http://curtainqueencreates.com/tighten- ... ndles-diy/ I like it because it's user-serviceable. If it breaks (BIFL is a long time), a new handle can be bodged. Rivets (and welds) are much harder to deal with.

Did

Post by Did »

FWIW I consider I induction to be rubbish. We have been cursed with it a few times in house sits, including the current one, and for heat control it reminds me of the old on off metal rings - hot cold type thing. Gas is the answer and I would prefer a camping stove to this.

Of course in the ERE spirit I just suck it up but I would do my best to never have to cook with it. Of course it depends on your cooking.....

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I learned how to cook on gas, and have never since lived in a place that has it. Where I live now I would have to use propane. Doable but not really worth the bother.