Cook For Good

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
orinoco

Post by orinoco »

I recently discovered the Cook For Good website which has a very ERE approach to cooking & has a lot of useful recipes (this one tastes particularly good).

Koogie

Post by Koogie »

I heartily agree. That is a great website she has there.

Can't recommend the Potato Peanut Curry enough. Super cheap and really tasty (use cilantro instead of parsley and double the chipotle powder). We make it once a week and I eat the leftovers at work for lunch (it freezes well).

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I recommend Everyday Food from PBS. I watched a few episodes and like the simplicity and ease of their recipes.

Frugal Vegan Mom

Post by Frugal Vegan Mom »

Thanks for the recommendations! I read the Cheap Healthy Good blog: www.cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com
and Thirty Bucks a Week, a couple who cooks delicious stuff off just that much: www.thirtyaweek.wordpress.com
Also: http://melomeals.blogspot.com/ Vegan cooking on $3.33 per day.

AlexK

Post by AlexK »

That website looked good to me. I made the peanut potato curry tonight and it was not so good. And I love curry. I will try the yogurt cinnamon sweet potatoes next since I already bought the ingredients.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@AlexK,

If you like curry, then why not try some recipes from here?

AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Thanks Surio. One of his "simple" curries uses 19 ingredients so I may be too lazy to try that.

Surio

Post by Surio »

What????????

Which one, bruv?
If it is spices, then I can explain. If he prepares most spices from scratch then each ingredient adds up and that might be a possibility of 19 there. Otherwise, 19 is too huge a number.
You could buy some of those spice mixes in stores (ask for Garam Masala or Tandoori Masala). If you are adventurous (or planned, as in case of DW) you can buy the ingredients from the store and mill it yourself (I used to do that with Cajun spices when I lived abroad). There's another style of pre-blended spices that I talk about in my earlier post here. (Sambhar Masala). You'll find some more cooking blogs/ideas also there.
When you have the blended spices, any dish in Kurma's book becomes the drill:

pressure cook,

saute,

spice powder,

rice/chappathis

heaven :-)
Surio.

---

orinoco

Post by orinoco »

@AlexK
If you like curry I was recently shocked at how good, quick & easy to make this one was:
Turnip Curry
5 tbsp Oil

1 pinch Fennel seeds

2lb Turnip, sliced into 1inch long french fry sized bits

2 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp Turmeric

1 1/4 tsp Ground cumin

1 cup Water

1/4 tsp Crushed red chili
Heat oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid.
Add fennel seeds & turnip 'fries', fry while stirring for 2-4 minutes over medium heat.
Add salt, turmeric & cumin & mix well. Cover & cook gently over low heat for 10 minutes until the turnip is soft.
Uncover & drain off any excess oil. Add water, stirring & cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat & sprinkle in the crushed chilis.
Serve with rice & bread.