Finishing with tung oil?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Peanut

Finishing with tung oil?

Post by Peanut »

Have you ever used it for finishing? I chose it because it was more appealing to me than polyurethane but I'm not clear on whether using a foam brush or rag (waxing) to apply is better? I saw both on utube but all were applying it directly to unfinished wood while I am dealing with stained wood. Also please tell me one coat is enough.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Finishing with tung oil?

Post by jacob »

Yeah, I've used it although never on stained wood. I think of Danish oil as being more of a natural [look] finisher for the purists. To finish stain, I'd either poly (for a plasticy feel that will take heavy use) or shellac (four+ coats) if the goal is the *wow*-effect.

I usually use a paper towel to apply it. I don't think it matters what you use to "get it on" as long as you get it on.

Two coats are better but one is fine. Basically the idea is for the oil to penetrate into the wood and close off the pores by "soaking" the top layers thus stabilizing the wood... if that makes sense. Poly is more of a seal-that-goes-on-top. Oil tends to make the wood softer. Also, while it's a good stabilizer, it doesn't really protect the surface like poly or shellac.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Ha, goal is just to finish this !@# project.

Yeah I saw Danish oil mentioned somewhere, don't know how different it is. I may switch if the tung has too much color. Poly I don't like because since it's a plastic it can flake off in an unattractive way. Not that I expect much stress on the wood, but I just liked the idea of a less synthetic product. I think tung oil will make the wood waterproof too.

ArkTinkerer

Post by ArkTinkerer »

Have you tried Linseed Oil? Works pretty much the same way. I have thinned some and occasionally added Japan Drier to make it set faster but just using it straight (unless you buy some exotic stuff it already catalyzed) is the more natural application.