Selling CD collection?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
JL13

Re: Selling CD collection?

Post by JL13 »

Somehow I've ended up with a free streaming subscription? The Spotify app for Chromebook automatically defaults to the subscription (add free, listen to full albums) account. And if I login to the Chrome browser on any other computer and select the Spotify app button (rather than www.spotify.com), it works there also.

I'm sure it's a bug, but it's been going for a year now!

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Best. Bug. Ever!

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

I have sold most of my CD's 6-7 years ago, but I still hang on to around 150 for purely sentimental reasons. I don't think they hold much monetary value any more.
When it comes to buying new music though, I am in a bit of a dilemma:
- Vinyl is out, because I have no desire to start with all that
- I appreciate the concept of a CD (compilation of the songs, artwork etc.) and I want to support the artist (similar to buying a book), but I am not willing to bringing new stuff into my life that would just take up space.
- I dislike downloading mp3 via iTunes etc. They cost almost the same as the CD, and then do I really own the files?
- That leaves streaming (artist gets very little money) or the sharing platforms (artist gets no money at all)

No solution so far. But hey, on the plus side: I don't spend money on music at all

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

brighteye wrote: - I dislike downloading mp3 via iTunes etc. They cost almost the same as the CD, and then do I really own the files?
You own the files, but just like cds if your house burns down, you can lose them. I have the ones I've ripped backed up on two computers and a back up hard drive, with the two computers 50 miles apart. Many times the .mp3 albums cost more than used cds, but at least I don't have to deal with ripping them and dealing with the actual cd when I'm done.

JV

Post by JV »

I too have a glut of CDs and am listening through them again with the intention of selling the ones I no longer care about to Decluttr. You don't get much money for the CDs (unless they're rare), but it clears up space and they pay for you to ship the CDs to them.

Speaking of VHS tapes, GreenDisk will recycle them for you, though you do have to pay to ship them the tapes.

And hey! Bit Brigade. My buddy Jace plays guitar for them and they're certainly a great live show.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Small world! I went to high school with the bass player!