Cooking - Simple Recipes

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
InterfaceLeader

Post by InterfaceLeader »

@HSpencer - share it anyway! 'tis (almost) the time of year :)

Q

Post by Q »

Sharing IS caring after all

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

Similar to Jacob's pilaf recipe is my daal recipe.
After sauteing onion and garlic, cook red lentils with a sliced tomato, oregano, cumin, and salt+pepper. Serve over rice.

Maus

Post by Maus »

I actually tried Jacob's oats with eggs recipe -- I know Zev, I fell off the Paleo wagon -- and it was tasty. I added some bacon and carmelized onion, so it was very savory. But, now, oats have been purged from the household. All I have left is about 5# of brown rice that I occasionally sneak a half cup of as I try to remain VLC and lose the weight. The next time I hit the rice, I might give rePete's daal recipe a whirl, with the addition of a little turmeric.

Stahlmann

Re: Cooking - Simple Recipes

Post by Stahlmann »

Well...:
1) Is butter replaceable with lard? I mean in baking. With butter this is easy to make crispy bakery. I will start with 80/20 proportions.
2) Any fancy way to achieve softness in pancakes/simple breads? I think (that from the staples) milk is responsible for this characteristic. Hmm. It's belieced that milk is expensive on Der Meister Nivo, but... for example in bodybuilding community GOMAD (Gallon Of Milk A Day) is pretty popular (for its low cost).
3) How to avoid sad layer? I'm rather in constant haste so I tend to use high temperatures- low time. It seems medium temperatures-moderate time spend cooking would solve this problem.

7Wannabe5

Re: Cooking - Simple Recipes

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Lard will achieve similar composition, but may alter the flavor. Softness depends on a number of factors. For instance, using butter as fat will generally yield softer result than vegetable oil, but mayonnaise will also work. High temperature/low time works in a wok which is being well-managed, but not in many other situations. You might just have to put in some time copying recipes step-by-step until you get more of a hang for it.