ERE Transporting Firearms in a Metropolitan Area

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Along the lines of my pedestrian-centric move by handtruck, I'm planning to transport my (first ever) rifle on foot from Long Island to Upper Manhattan.
Why? Because it's ERE! I called the transit authority and a sergeant told me "no-go" for getting on the subway with an unloaded, locked-in-a-case rifle, which I intuitively felt was going to be a bad idea. Walking through Queens with a rifle--a better idea? I don't know, but it's cheaper than renting or hiring a car.
Here I go...

akratic

Post by akratic »

Long Island to Upper Manhattan is far!
Once you called the transit authority, they had no choice but to say no, otherwise they assume some responsibility for it.
If instead you had just done it, even if you had been discovered, I think they would have been quick to forgive you, especially with it unloaded.
Asking for forgiveness instead of permission can be taken too far, but in this case, especially if you had put the unloaded, locked rifle case in a duffle bag or big backpack, you wouldn't have been hurting anyone.
Enjoy your walk though, that sounds like a good story and adventure!
PS: It personally took me a long, long time to realize I was asking permission too often, so now I'm on the lookout for situations where other people might be doing the same.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Maybe transport it one half at a time?

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I walked about 20 of the 27 miles and got lost a few times--no more data plan on my smartphone (wouldn't be ERE), so just had a static set of directions--finally broke down and took a $$$ cab ride the rest of the way, but had some adventures:
* did the first 11 miles at 3.7 mph pace, then lost track of mileage/time from getting lost

* accidentally passed by Citi Field, the Mets stadium, and just happened to be there when the buses were unloading from the "March to Restore Sanity" coming back from DC

* had a fascinating, wide-ranging 1+-hour discussion with the taxi driver, who is from Bangladesh and holds a Master's in Economics (from Bangladesh) -- topics included the economic crisis, comparative banking systems, Israel, al-Qaeda, American military policy, NYC real estate...
Anyway, I bought a used Remington 700 .30-06 with synthetic stock, and it came with a swanky Leupold VX-III sight (2.5-10x40)--I imagine it will hold its value + inflation, but not much more; it isn't the sexiest gun, but the material will wear better than wood. Gun + case + cleaning supplies = $800.
I now have a lot of target practice to do, and in short order since hunting season has officially begun. Join me next time when I somehow get my rifle to the shooting range--40-70 miles away. I will definitely not be walking. :)

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@akratic You're probably right, but NYC is a different animal than trying to get away with that in any other city. Especially on a weekend, I didn't think it would be a good risk. There is apparently a law on the books explicitly against transporting firearms via subway. The worst thing I would have expected to happen was to get the gun confiscated, but that would be bad enough to avoid the eventuality.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Understand this problem fully in NYC. It would be too intimidating to the muggers and murderers and robbers to have a normal citizen with a gun on a subway. It would make it too hard and dangerous for the mugger to do his/her job. Carrying said firearm down the street over one's shoulder would upset the local law folks as it would be naturally assumed that you were either going to rob, murder, or otherwise shoot up the place. You might even get stopped and tazered or shot from the cop's window, questions asked later if necessary (if your not dead).

While it might get the eyebrows up of folks in most cities if they saw a "man with a gun", if more places would pass the "open-carry" law, then Mr/Mrs Mugger would have to at least think about his/her actions prior to performing them.

I guess that the 2D Amendment does not apply to or is trumped by the NYC gubbermint.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Reading my above post, I am afraid that someone might think I was knocking the NYC police Dept. Not true at all. I am willing to bet, that in NYC, after someone has broken in a house and murdered the people inside it, the NYC police would come and investigate to try and determine who did it. That's comforting to know.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@HSpencer I'm agnostic on open carry in a city the size and density of NYC. I like the idea of keeping as close as is practical to the Second Amendment, but I have to wonder whether the net effect would be positive if "the good guys" were allowed to carry weapons in public. My guess is that it would curb crime, as you say, but that accidental shootings of bystanders would increase as "the good guys" take it upon themselves to apply lethal force in the face of non-lethal situations (such as muggings).
The crime rate in NYC is still really low compared to other cities--I've been here for three years and have never witnessed or been party to a mugging; none of my friends have either. Road rage, on the other hand, is everywhere, but it's NYC-style road rage: "Hey, go fuck yourself!" "Likewise." And they go on their merry way.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

So how are you going to get to the nearest hunting grounds? How will you transport your kill? Will you be paying to have it processed?
I'd love to see NYC urbanite reactions to someone trying to muscle a deer into an elevator! :)

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

@Johnny Deer in an elevator = a worthwhile image. :)
I have been assuming that I'll hitch a ride with another hunter or two. I want to stay as close to the city as possible, just so I don't have to give up ALL my weekends up to hunting, so there's still the bicycle idea, even if its legality is a little up in the air. My friend is thankfully doing some coordinating between aspiring and experienced hunters among the NYC Paleo crowd.
I'm going to do target practice 40 miles north of the city this coming weekend, and I'm tentatively planning to ride my bike up there (and back!).
Transporting the kill: I plan to field dress my kill, which will mean transporting about 40 pounds of meat/organs per deer. This would fit in a cooler, transported by bike trailer or car.
Processing: I will butcher the meat in my kitchen--my roommates have been forewarned and are surprisingly cool with having a rifle in the house. The cat will probably have to be quarantined during that process if I want to keep all the meat for myself!

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Hey Zev,

You're hunting sounds quite fun, adventuresome and, well, delicious. I know nothing about hunting, but you're kinda making me want to look into it in the future. That, and the Paleo diet, which I'm too cheap to go on.
Good stuff. Good luck with your trip.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Zev
I understand we cannot have the wild west going on in NYC. I was being sarcastic, and I offer my apology. (I do lean heavily towards saying my piece as you may suspect.)