Yet another ultimate list of pf bloggers

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Okay, I'm getting tired of appearing on lists where I am not #1 ;-P
I think most standard metrics for measuring "best" are ridiculous at best. Feedburner stats don't measure how many people read your feed as much as how long you've been in business or whether you've held some "subscribe for a prize" competitions. Links are more a function of longevity, etc.
These lists tend to suffer from promoting what they measure. As a result, good stuff gets lost in the fray.
Now, I have several good ideas for how to quantify "best" in a better way.
What I don't have is an easy way to pull the data.
E.g.
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/earlyreti ... com#bounce
Here I'd need, say, the 1 month number for the bounce rate. I think this could be done with wget/curl and perl. Would anyone who is fluent in such be interested in helping me construct such a list?

buzz

Post by buzz »

I was a little hesitant to comment on this, but since nobody else did:
I don't understand why this would even matter to you. This is someone else's opinion on who is best, and is probably more akin to a "who I agree with the most" or possibly "who I learned most from"
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're referring to? Anyway, I'm not a blogger and don't have any motive for sucking up to anybody, but here's an interesting metric for your internet reach that you probably weren't even aware of. I have taken the liberty to spread ERE to the internet underground. If you'd like, you can take your rightful place as chanop, but until then, I've been directing a few people to your site and helping them out with the basics. It's very small now, but I don't know of any pf presence on any IRC server that I frequent. If you're feeling adventurous:
server: irc.sixlabrats.com

port: 6667

#ere [+rnt]
Full disclosure: You will be scanned for open proxies upon entry. It's for all the users peace of mind.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@buzz - It's kinda like best seller lists. If someone doesn't know any better, they start from the top and go from there. The closer you are to the top, the more new readers you get [with little effort].
What annoys me is "best seller" NEQ "best".
Someone else went through the trouble once to make a list based on other quantitative metrics. It contained some very interesting blogs that would otherwise be buried in the usual lists.
Thanks for spreading the word. I've actually never done anything on IRC.

buzz

Post by buzz »

It's like command line chatting :) You should at least try it, a good IRC client is mIRC and is free at mirc.com

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Oh I know what it is. I've just never done it.