Swimming

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Q

Post by Q »

Anyone have any self-help swim technique's?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

That's tough. The basics are not that complicated, but it takes years to develop good technique. I guess it compares to skating that way.
In one case (butterfly) it takes significant strength too... it simply doesn't work under a minimum speed.
I can show you some stuff next time, if I still remember. I think I do. Supposedly it's like riding a bicycle. I was a competitive swimmer for 6-7 years.

Q

Post by Q »

I know how to skate (roller), but I am no expert. As far as swimming, I have noticed great improvement in my ability to swim underwater and hold my breath, etc. I've also noticed greater arm strength - and that's been just a couple hours a week for the last 3 weeks.
I can't float, and I can't tread water. I also cannot swim laps well.
Practice makes Best - and it's another goal I guess to try and be way better at swimming.

RobC

Post by RobC »

The most important part of learning to swim is to be comfortable in the water. (I've read somewhere that humans are the only animal "smart" enough to panic when they hit the water and drown)
If you are actively working on improveing your swimming it would be worth your time to spend a couple minutes when you first get in to do some submersions, push offs and work on your floats. (some people truely can't float due to high muscle mass but most can learn)
One other bit of advice would be to not just go and swim (although this will help to a certain level) but to actually practice, trying to improve an aspect of your technique every lap.
I have some experience teaching swimming if you'd like to let me know about where your skills are I could probably give you a couple tips and drills to try out.