Meat Grinder

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I want to get one for my upcoming amateur hunting career, and also for my cat. Mmm, ground cat. Naw, just playin'; to grind chicken for him.
There are a bunch of antique manual ones on eBay for ~$16 shipped, then some new manual ones for $28. I'm not going to go electric because that wouldn't be ERE enough for me--I want this thing to be the last meat grinder I buy, and now that I've recovered from moving house by handtruck, I'm ready to do some heavy grinding. You know, like at the gay parade? (Tea Party reference)
My question: Should I be concerned about weird metals/paints used in antique meat grinders, you think?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

The old grinder mom had (circa WWII) was made of cast iron (I think) and the interior surfaces were definitely not painted. Wooden crank handle was painted and that paint could conceiveably be lead-based, so would definitely strip & recoat.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The meat grinders of my parents and grand parents are both cast iron and have no paint on them. Still going strong after decades of admittedly modest use.
They look somewhat like this and weigh a ton
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/image ... detail.gif

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I'm re-working one right now. I took the handle off and threaded a bolt inside. I just need to grind the edges flat and then put it into an electric drill. Voila, electric meat grinder. Surprisingly, you can find cheap electric drills because nobody like cords. I have two handy as back-ups. Now I just gotta mount the entire thing together on a platform. I think something simple to mount the grinder to a board, bolt it in place, then tie down the drill so it doesn't spin. Next add a switch and a dimmer. I think there are special dimmers for electric motors so they don't burn out. That's what my brother said.
I've also seen a similar rig with a wheel and a motor + belt. It worked well when I borrow it, but then you gotta rig it all. The drill thing is easy and if you don't want to rig it, can always just attach/detach so long as you can get someone to help chuck the meat in.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Next, a blender driven by a lawn mower engine :)

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Shazam. Consuming is fun!

susanjoyaverbac

Post by susanjoyaverbac »

Exactly like Grandma and Great-Grandma's!!

Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I've got 100 lbs of meat. That lawnmower might just come in handy :)