Clothes: DIY Alterations

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

How can you tell if a pair of pants are resize-able? Besides taking them to a pro, of course. Ever since going paleo 11 months ago, I've dropped multiple pants sizes, and now my really nice Banana Republic slacks (x3) don't remotely fit me. They look goofy all bunched up in a belt too.
I know this is a Google-able query, but perhaps I can draw upon the group for wisdom on this. I'm totally down to learn some basic sewing, if that's what's called for, and would document the process. But first I need to find out if this is just a Goodwill donation or something I can fix.

hickchick

Post by hickchick »

Most things can only be taken in one or two sizes max. My knowledge of alterations fuzzes out there.

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Do you have a sewing machine? If not, taking in pants is a LOT of handsewing and you might find it really is more cost effective to go to a tailor. Or if you have a friend IRL who's good at sewing, you might want to try bartering for a lesson and machine access (maybe once you take down a deer you can offer up a few venison steaks).
One thing that makes taking in pants tricky is the pockets. If you need to go down more than a size or two you will need to take in the pants at the sides, where the pockets are (if you only need to go in a little, it is possible to just take in the back seam, thus avoiding the pockets). So then you'll basically need to re-do the pocket openings, etc. Also, taking in pants generally requires ripping out and then resewing in the waistband, which can be a very fiddly process.
I'm not sure about online resources, but my go-to sewing book is the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. It is focused more on women's clothing, but you might find some of the info there useful (it's probably also readily available from the library).

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

@Zev--They're right, if you're off by more than a size or two, which it sounds like you are by your description of everything bunching when you cinch your belt up, you're going to have a tough go on altering them in the width. It would probably cost you more to alter them than it would to go to a second hand store and buy new slacks.
You said you live in NYC--go to a nicer part of the city and find a second hand or consignment store and buy one or two pairs of new pants. Just get rid of the old ones--you can't let the initial investment keep them around, it's a sunk cost. I'm wearing an awesome pair of Banana Republic slacks right now that I bought at the Goodwill awhile back...$3. :)

CestLaVie

Post by CestLaVie »

Time to get new pants. You might be able to take one inch or two off the belt. Any more than that and basically you'll have to rebuild the pants if you don't want them to look goofy. I am wearing BR slacks right now. I did tailor the length myself, but taking off more than a couple of inches at the waist would be a project I would not undertake (and I am very good at sewing).

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

thanks, all, for the tips--you saved me much effort, as my wont is to do "extreme" things like learning how to sew just for a one-off situation like this (one-off presuming my waist doesn't get any smaller/bigger). @ Catherine lol re: bartering with venison--it's something i will try to do once i get hunting.
i hate shopping, but there are some great thrift stores near my office on 23rd.

Debbie M

Post by Debbie M »

You could try selling your big pants at a consignment shop. More people are getting larger than smaller, so there might be a market.