Beer Won't Make You Fat

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

This was my good news for the day. Somehow, I already knew it, or rather I had "proclaimed" the fact.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... -gain.html

Sven

Post by Sven »

Thanks for the good news! :-)
That is what i miss.. the ERE brewery! ;-)

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Yes, good "news." Kind of wishful, that piece.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It doesn't have to!
The problem with alcohol is that it contains almost no nutritious value so it does nothing to satiate the appetite. So for most people it is consumed in addition to the food and juice they consume. For others it also lowers inhibitions which helps them cave into their hunger cravings.
But this is other people...not me:)

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Dude is very correct. A delicious Lager or Ale, in a frosted mug, cold enough to crack the enamel on your teeth, sets up the appetite in fine fashion.

This is why I drink it. I drink imported and American beers that taste just as good with steak, as with chocolate cake. That first sip of something like A ruddy red Samuel Adams invokes a desire to savor the signal your taste buds return to you immediately. A nice dark Newcastle Champion Brown Ale invites you to look at the menu. The second or third will make you think of ordering Seared Medallions of Venison, with Huckleberries and Ginger Nut Sauce. A smooth Bavarian Roggen will incite you to require a Pastrami on Rye, with Pickle Relish and Cottage Fried Potatoes.

The final Roggen of the evening is had with the two flavor ice cream (Vanilla and Mint) and Sugar Delight Cookies.

So in other words, yeah, it can cause some weight gain in these aspects.

Frugal Vegan Mom

Post by Frugal Vegan Mom »

Yum, yum, yum! I don't believe alcohol makes you gain weight, just based on my own experience. I've drank a good 4 times per week, a few on weeknights and double that on the weekends, for the past 10 years. Yeah I'm only 28 maybe that has something to do with it. When I'm not drinking I eat really healthy and exercise regularly and have no problem maintaining a roughly size 6 (U.S.).
In the past two months since I've known I'm pregnant (and stopped drinking!) it's not like I suddenly lost a bunch of weight (and you don't gain in the 1st trimester, and my appetite was shit due to nausea, so that wouldn't count for any weight maintenance!)
Anyway side note, breweries are an excellent source for frugal entertainment! The tours are usually free, with free beer at the end! If you are ever in Minnesota, DON'T MISS the Surly Beer tour, it's a small brewery with high quality beers and you basically go in and drink unlimited - the facility is one big room, you go have a look and the owner talks about the history (5 years) of the place. Otherwise you sit in the bar area and drink free =).

csdx

Post by csdx »

Hmm the article did rub me the wrong way on a few points.

Firstly natural does not equal healthy, the byproduct of yeast is alcohol which is a poison (a fun one, but a poison none-the-less).

Also they compare a half-pint (1 cup) of beer to a LARGE glass of wine. Which really is just portion rigging, I've not been able to buy beer by the cup anywhere. Though in both, the large portion of caloric content is from the alcohol, so yes, beer is a lower ABV so it takes more to get as many calories (and as drunk), but conversely is given in larger portions than wine or hard liquor.
But sure, at around 180 calories a pint, it won't make you fat all on it's own. Though as a note those alcohol calories are mostly 'empty', which means they do little else other than provide that amount of energy (often processed in lieu of your body using it's fat stores). So if you're already eating/drinking too many calories it will hurt you that much more. But, it turns out rather few things are terrible for you in moderation.

Mo

Post by Mo »

I love a cold beer, but that article is ridiculous. I used to say that paper never refused ink, so I guess it's that a computer never refused a keystroke?
Two 12oz budweisers have roughly the same number of calories as a McDonald's cheeseburger. So, I could also write an article about how cheeseburgers don't make you fat too-- if eaten in moderation.
If you regularly absorb more calories than you use, you'll gain weight. Consuming an extra 300 calories per day in beer or cheeseburgers makes you more likely to gain weight. Simple, really, though when it's beer I do relish those calories!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

IMO calories are almost entirely irrelevant to human digestion. Calories are measurements of energy released by setting things on fire in a combustion chamber. What does this have to do with human digestion? Nothing.
If calories mattered at all, I could drink 8 shots of kerosene a day and become a fat bastard... The body is more complex than that.
Clearly, insulin chemistry is a key to the body accepting incoming energy. I feel sorry for all the low calorie, low fat dieters because it will never work as those foods are the insulin inducers.

Mo

Post by Mo »

@JohnnyH
So, based on your understanding of insulin... can drinking beer make you fat, and why/why not?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Sure it could contribute, but I agree with the article, the "beer gut" is likely due to other factors.
Beer actually triggers a very low glycemic response, which the alcohol will blunt. Wine with dinner will lower your insulin response.
I drink quite a bit of beer and gain no weight when eating a high calorie, high fat diet... But if I start eating chips, white bread, noodles I can gain weight readily.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Trying to be of the most assistance possible to the forum, I have undertaken a complete analysis of the poster's various comments.

I have carefully weighed the both opinions and facts of the matter at hand. I have also done exhaustive research into the matter, and screened the potential results, reducing them to acceptable consensus and particulars.
From a purely scientific focus I have arrived at the following conclusion:
BEER IS DAMN GOOD WITH FOOD!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you each for your participation in this study :-)

Mo

Post by Mo »

"BEER IS DAMN GOOD WITH FOOD!!!!!!!!!!"
That's a sentiment I can certainly agree with... [gulp... gulp...]
Since I am not overweight, I guess the article is right....
But, if I drink more beer, maybe I can prove myself right.
I love a good paradox!