Computer in a brief case

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Okay, this topic is hard to place ... but,
Is it possible to build a desktop computer + screen which with fit in a brief case or possibly a pelican case?
Show me some links.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Are you looking to save space and/or just transport well?
Or do you want to build a fully functioning computer that works inside its case container?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It just needs to transport well. Pack and unpack. It doesn't need to work inside the container.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Is there a reason for desktop?
I am typing on a $300 acer notebook that has everything but the DVD burner. I can hold it in one hand and the battery is supposed to last 9 hours.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The ability to keep it alive by replacing parts would be nice. With a laptop, I foresee replacing the whole thing once it gets too old.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi Jacob,

something like http://www.mini-itx.com/ ?

(btw check the video "building a green PC") :)

Screen is separated and you can choose the one you want.
I understand the advantage of replacing parts, but with the price of netbooks and used notebooks going down, I don't see a real impact between the 2 solutions... usually when you realize that your PC is too old, it's already impossible to expand as the whole HW is obsoleted...
Ciao

D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@il-besa - Something like that. At least I'd still be able to keep the screen and maybe the hard drive.

Q

Post by Q »

You could always get a netbook (as suggested, and I have one too), and have an external drive with all your stuff, and get whatever size monitor you want to fit inside a bag and take off the stand. Simple.
You could set-up a home based server to log in from anywhere in the world that stores back-ups and/or serves as your launch platform for any programs that you forgot you needed etc.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Another direction is to get a portable audio rackmount case such as this:
http://www.gatorcases.com/Default.aspx? ... logID=9875
and fill it with rackmount server equipment. For example that case is a 6U so you could buy a standard 4U server chassis and still have 2U for a monitor tray.
This approach has the advantages of using standard server PC parts which are rugged and interchangeable. And the enclosure is already engineered to keep electronics alive in harsh environments.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

@Q: being an (ex)IT passionate, I did setup a server at home some years ago.

Honestly now I don't see the point in doing that anymore.

Everything now is on the web, and the PC became just a tool to access Internet, at least for 99% of the people around.

I prefer to store everything in online web applications: Gmail, Google docs, online backup, photo albums, RSS reader and go around with just my (company) notebook.
No server always-on at home, no powerful desktop, just Internet and a device to access it :)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I've been thinking about this as well. I want a desktop I can fit in a carry-on bag :)
Anyway, you'll have to decide if you want a microATX case or a full. I decided to go full ATX as the parts are cheaper, more readily available and less MTBF. Most mATX cases are a tall square, I wanted something more like a HTPC case that would lie flatter, perhaps under a LCD... Be careful of very specialized small computers, many are essentially laptops as parts are unit specific and basically require a full replace for a simple failure.
I went with this one for a test build, which was $25 after rebate and coupon last month. I'll try to sell the included PSU for $15 and add a more efficient one. Height 5.3", W 14.3", D: 17.8":

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811144231

Quite small for being able to accommodate a full PSU and ATX MB. Not far off from the dimensions of a 17" laptop, about 2-3" taller, and 3" wider... Its W & D are smaller than the screen I'm looking at now.
Monitor might be a little more tricky. I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure it can be done. You might have to design your own bezel system. I've seen people build bezels with pipes and plates, that might be the answer.
Then you could tape 2 monitors face to face for a low profile.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Parting and repairing desktops is absolutely the cheapest way to compute well. Notebooks cannot compete. In my machine I have hard/optical drives that are up to 6 years old. My second monitor is 11 years old! Yet still looks great on resolutions higher than 1080 widescreen monitors produce today. Several generations of my old hardware is still in use by my family and friends. In 12 yrs building computers, I've never had a MB, RAM or CPU fail... But I've eaten through 2 laptops on pretty brief work assignments. My own fujitsu lifebook, which was of great quality, lasted less than 2 years.
Even if notebooks were so cheap as to not care, which they are not, the cost per computing power is many, many multiples higher. See here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

My i7 920 benchmarks 30% higher than its mobile "equivalent." I paid $200 a year ago, the cheapest a i7 920XM today is over $1,000 dollars alone, probably >$1.5k in a laptop. Yikes, and that's before an easy 30% overclock on the desktop 920. A simple system with an overclocked e4500 (I paid $70 in 2007) will easily outperform 80% of laptops available today.
I also have a netbook, which is a fantastic little gadget, it does everything I need when I don't have access to a desktop... But I don't use it often, as I don't want to replace it when anything other than the HDD goes out! ;)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

If anyone is interested this case is $25 again today, after coupon and rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 44230-L02A
With Promo Code: EMCYWPZ33

csdx

Post by csdx »

I think I'd argue for a cheap used laptop/netbook. Most people vastly over-estimate how much processing power they need. Think about how ubiquitous smart phones are becoming, and their minuscule processing power. So a netbook is plenty power to run your office tools and internet browser (plus if you use a simple linux OS, you'll need even less power). So I'd say don't worry about cpu stats unless you plan on either gaming or doing some serious number crunching (video editing or matlab).
A few of my friends swear by toughbooks. If I recall they picked up some older model ones for about $300. The things are pretty rugged and they seemed to be able to find replacement parts without too much hassle.
Though if you do want the best of both worlds, be prepared, as always, to have to do it yourself. I'd look into the case modding communities. I've seen a few mods with a briefcase, but that was in the CRT era, so the screen was separate. But I'd bet someone's done something similar integrating a flat-screen monitor.
Also remember to recycle your old electronics.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I agree 100% most people can do just fine with near ancient processing power.
P4's are overkill for most people if the machine is running clean, without too much garbage installed.

JasonB

Post by JasonB »

What about something like this, except for the price of course ($1400 - yikes!):
http://www.bsicomputer.com/new/portable/n9/n9_intro.htm
It does include the LCD and a standard ATX motherboard + CPU, which is something.
Will try and find just the case.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@JasonB - But it is so ugly :)
It reminds me of the 1980s style leg crushing laptops.

Q

Post by Q »

What about the one laptop per child project?
Their laptops seem durable and use linux...