Purchasing clothes and clothes maintenance

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I am lucky to have a job where attire doesn't come into play... However, how do you stretch your dollars on clothes?
I generally go to thrift stores when I visit big cities. Thrift stores in affluent suburbs are loaded with the same quality clothes, that seem new, for about 10% what department stores try and charge... Things I have to buy new (I'm an odd pants size, socks, so on) I generally wait for a good sale and buy online. Sierra Trading Post has had some excellent deals in the past, but I think their prices have gone up.
I have a drawer that is filled with socks that have developed a hole on the heel. Wearing them can cause a blister... I can sew OK, and usually fix any little problems like torn knees, lost buttons etc. Is it worth it to fix cheap cotton socks?... I normally just use them as cleaning rags.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

This is hardly an expense issue as often as I go shopping. It helps that I have family (Mother, Aunts) who like to pick me up stuff from garage sales/salvation army/clearance racks (they probably think they have to because they know I won't care until the fabric splits).
In the event I go out to buy something (probably one outing every other year or less), I found Kohl's to be a pretty good deal for new. However, my favorite is a pack of cheap tee's. They are good for everything but my work, which is covered by the family articles above.
I recommend never spending extra on fancy socks. It is my experience that they never last as long as the cheap cotton.
I think the best way to save money is by trying to avoid gaining weight. After high school we shouldn't be changing too often. You will notice this is a problem if you have to buy a new wardrobe:)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I used to do thrift stores. I find it difficult to find pants in the right size in the US. They're all 32x36 ... I need 33-34x34 or so. I get my underwear using JC Penney gift cards: $15->$5. Socks are six packs. I'm still working on some jeans I got for xmas a couple of years ago. T-shirts come from events. Shirts last almost forever. Freecycle has also been a good source for me. Usually, it's a selection of 20+ shirts from someone cleaning out their closet. I pick a few and freecycle/donate the rest.

Marius

Post by Marius »

Pajamas: usually old faded t-shirts
Socks: 5-packs of lowcost sports socks (advantage of sports socks: never clammy feet! For some reason clammy feet give me a headache)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'll also put my vote in for the sixpack of black sports socks. They are more comfortable than the dress socks and they look the same. Also, they're $5 on sale (for 6 pairs).

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Im a 32-34, and I think maybe 2% of pants in the thrift store are this size.
I was able to get 3 pairs of Carhartt canvas pants for $6 4 years ago. These are incredibly long lasting pants, many times more durable than jeans... The only holes are from bike fall, dog bite and getting caught on barb wire... All one event ;) -jk.
I think these are the pants, get them if you can get a good price: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,239 ... r-Men.html
Does anyone know of a sock that will outlast the regular cotton sock? My last cheap cotton athletic socks lasted less than 6 months.
... looks like the consensus is to just replace, rather than mend?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'll mend in 75% of the cases (for socks). 6 months seems short. Where do the holes appear? Mine are mainly under the heel and on the big toe. I can save the toe, but I can't save the heel.
Biking socks last a long time. They're $5+ per pair and that's on sale + plus you'll have a laughing clown on your ankle, etc. Hiking socks last even longer, but now it's $20 per pair.
If it just comes to casual walking around, I don't think the expensive ones are worth it. Replacing cheap ones in the long run is cheaper.

jj

Post by jj »

@ JohnnyH - I have a drawer that is filled with socks that have developed a hole on the heel. Wearing them can cause a blister..."
When I wear a hole in my socks, I turn them over (hole on top)
I love my Carhartt jeans. They have two layers of denim over the knees. They were expensive but they last... and they used to be made in USA... used to... :(

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I love ArborWear jeans, specifically the Tree Climbing model. They are gusseted in both of my wear spots: crotch and knees. My pair is three years old and going strong and quite comfortable.
I keep wearing underwear out in the crotch, from cycling. I mended my underwear with a piece of denim in the crotch, stealing the idea from a cycling chamois. It's comfortable, even though it might not sound it.

tangy333

Post by tangy333 »

I just got this fabric shaver that helps revive winter clothing, very useful tool

Debbie M

Post by Debbie M »

Sadly, socks with some polyester in them outlast 100% cotton socks. The cotton part still wears through, but a polyester framework remains to keep things together.
I also sew up holes that form over the toenail. Fortunately, my socks haven't worn out in the heel in some time.
I get most clothes at thrift stores. However, pants are difficult--my waist is smaller than my hips, as if I'm a female or something and I don't need to fit a pricing gun in the waistband. So I buy pants from LLBean, mostly on sale and/or with gift cards.
Socks and undies are tougher. I like knee socks which went completely out of style for at least half a decade. Women's "trouser socks" are almost as bad as hose for wearing out. I am just always on the lookout and experimenting.
Shoes are also problematic. I like the kind that don't fall of my feet and that are soft and comfy. That means lace-up shoes. I now wear black sneakers to work and white sneakers most of the rest of the time. It's just too hard to find regular leather lace-ups that fit me.

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

My SO is a retail manager of many years which has taught me quite a bit that I didn't realize before. When you wash any of your jeans, turn them inside out so they don't fade. Once they've been washed, hang them out to dry. You'll get far more mileage than you ever imagined. I have pairs of jeans that I have worn regularly for 2 years and they still look barely different from when I got them. I used to have major wear problems with pants in the crotch and knees that have now been reduced to nearly zero. Side note: I now feel lucky after reading this thread being a more common waist/inseam combo. :D
As I mentioned above, the girlfriend is a retail manager, so it can save you lots of money on clothing if you have someone close to you in that kind of capacity, and you're smart about it. It could lead to Jacob's article he talked about where all you look at is how much you saved, but if you use it like I do for the occasional high-quality heavily discounted item that you know you need, it is worth it. I wouldn't go telling your spouse or SO to change careers for it, but there are variations of it where people will work for a retail company for the discount during holiday season only.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

@RedSted: Fading has never been my problem. My jeans develop holes in the thighs and typically last 3 months.

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

@AlexOliver- 3 months? That seems to be an unusually short life for a pair of jeans. Maybe you are having quality issues--certain low end brands of jeans are cheaper for a reason, I bought a pair of jeans from Old Navy once and they truly did last about 3-4 months and were done. I'd imagine one of the best bangs for your buck would be the Carhartt double knee jeans, or any of the original Levi's, a.k.a. 501, 505, 550, 569 etc. Don't be fooled by imitations,though. Stores like Walmart and Target carry products from "reputable" manufacturers but people like Levi's have a whole different line they put out for the cheaper stores so they still make a profit. Basically all the leftover crap goes there--more or less the hot dogs of denim. You don't want hot dogs, right? :)