Food Not Bombs

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
rachels

Post by rachels »

This isn't exactly DIY, but this seems to be where the food-oriented posts are accumulating. Food Not Bombs is a collection of independent groups that serve waste food (usually vegetarian or vegan) to the homeless/activists/anyone else all across the country. At least in here in Austin, that food is fabulous. I volunteer to cook and/or serve on Saturdays and Sundays, and therefore get an nutritious meal (plus dessert and leftovers if I bring a container) for no money. I also get the entertainment that comes from attending a big picnic twice a week.
Additionally, you don't have to volunteer to eat. Most FNB's we have attended don't consider themselves charities and are happy to share food with anyone who comes, regardless of financial status. You will also probably get to meet lots of resourceful homeless folks and travelers who are making do on much less than you can imagine.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Thank you for this, rachels--I am keeping your other tip in mind regarding freeganism as a way to save money and still eat well. There are some bourgeois stumbling blocks in me regarding this, but it's on my to-do list to check out...
I spent a minute on FNB's website just now, and I couldn't find where their local events are! It needs a redesign.
btw how's life in the cinder block room? :) how's the boat?

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

@NYC: There's no national FNB organization, so just google (in your case) "New York Food Not Bombs". They're all autonomous.
One thing to keep in mind: FNB is basically a club of anarcho punks who might look at you funny if you look relatively middle class, aren't homeless, and aren't involved in the "class struggle." You'll probably feel like an outsider. Related to the above point: I speak for what I've experienced in my city, so ymmv.
Also NYC, I know you follow paleo, and most of the food is vegan.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Thanks Alex. I used to live in Berkeley, so I know about the general demographic of Food Not Bombs. I even totally disagree with pacifism, but it seems like a good cause in any case. Yeah, obviously paleo doesn't comport with those meals, but I can't afford to start an all-meat Food Not Bombs! I think it would be an interesting experiment if I decide to explore it--as will be freeganism.