Bicycle Accessories

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
SF

Post by SF »

You don't need a huge battery if you want bright lights, but yeah, generators don't quite do it, except as be-seen lights. The tradeoff is brightness, weight, and running time (oh, and cost too).
There are a large number of tactical flashlights that can go from 10 to 200 lumens. These should cost under $60, for the 2xAA version. But they only run for about an hour at the brightest setting (scroll to see charts).
200 lumens is very bright but these lights have less spill than an auto headlight. Auto headlights have around 1000 lumens, IIRC.
For reference, I aim mine down, but can still see the beam flashing onto street signs, even pre-dusk, with the sun at maybe 20 degrees above the horizon, but partially blocked by trees.
You can attach it to your bike either via a twofish holder or see this DIY video to use an old tube as a mount.

Stahlmann

Re: Bicycle Accessories

Post by Stahlmann »

I am thinking about bike vacations across my country. I miss bicycle panniers. How about them?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I like them, though frame packs are becoming popular at least for off-road touring. I have both front and rear pairs, though for commuting I only use the front ones on the back. They're pretty worn-out Ortleibs, I should probably get another set before I retire.

mathewsmith12

Re:

Post by mathewsmith12 »

B wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 pm
As I mentioned in my Journal, I've (perhaps prematurely) pulled the trigger and I'm in ERE earlier than I planned (yes, which probably means I'll have to find another job later). Anyway.
I can't afford to drive a car anymore, so I'm getting where I need to travel by foot and bike. I was given a good road bike, but it's lacking a few nearly essential accessories.
What is an ERE approach to acquiring the following bike accessories? I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on accessories, especially when I got the bike for free.
-Saddlebags or some other kind of cargo holder (carrying groceries while biking has been hard)

-Water bottle

-Fenders (not really needed right away, but with fall will come rain and mud)

-Headlight, taillight
Those are all I can think of right now. What else is imprescindible for using a bike as primary transportation?
Another question, it is very hot these days, and although I can handle it, I always arrive to my destinations drenched in sweat. How do you handle this? Bring a change of clothes everywhere and have a dedicated biking outfit you change into every time you bike? Personally I don't mind it, but if I don't look like I live in an air conditioned bubble 95% of the time, it's hard to "pass" as normal.
Not sure what you have lying around but I thought this saddlebag was amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zcN65nOMQw

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »