Building A Fence?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Spartan_Warrior

Building A Fence?

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

How complicated is it to build your own fence? On the grand scheme of DIY carpentry, would this be considered entry-level, novice, intermediate, etc in difficulty? Furthermore, how cheaply can it be done?

I've looked up some basic "wikihow" type stuff. It seems straightforward, but there does seem to be a certain finesse level required e.g. lining up the posts to the correct height, etc. And since I plan to own this house another seven or eight years at least, it is important to me that the fence is done right/looks good.

I would essentially be replacing an existing picket fence with a taller privacy fence to block out annoying neighbors. So there would be removal of that and clearing of the land to consider as well as the actual fence construction. On the other hand, it's my understanding that I don't need a survey if I'm simply replacing a fence along existing lines. (Actually, I would have to move the new fence into my property at least a foot or two in some spots, because ten year old trees are now growing between the posts of the picket fence, and would be in the way of a full privacy fence.)

FYI, I've already deliberated for the last two years whether I actually need a fence. After having a neighbor ring my doorbell early this morning to request entry onto my land to recover a chicken* that had flown the coop directly into my yard, I've determined that yes, I do need one. I require some semblance of peace and privacy in my own backyard and a fence is the only legitimate way to do so given the layout and landscaping.

*See thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3146&hilit=chickens

arrrrgon

Re: Building A Fence?

Post by arrrrgon »

I've put in a couple of chain links which I consider to be entry-level. I watched my neighbor put up a partial privacy fence and it didn't look too difficult. The real question is the pitch of the area you'll be fencing. I think that's what really determines the difficulty. With that said, I'd say that a privacy fence is more of a novice to intermediate job, but again I've never put one in myself.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

If your vertical (hopefully in concrete) and horizontal supports are good it's as easy as pulling down the fence boards an adding taller ones... Maybe $7 and 5 mins a linear foot.

If you've got to string out fence, use your PHD (post hole digger ;)), mix concrete, deal with slope it's more expensive and complicated but still easy and fairly inexpensive... I'd look for salvaged fence pickets are a materials recycling place... Also, I'd stain/protect the fence when you're done.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Hmm.. novice, since my dad can do it ;-)

1) Determine end points of fence with two poles.
2) String a line between the poles.
3) Dig equally spaced holes for the fence posts.
4) Mix concrete
5) Put post in hole and use a level/plumb bob to keep it level---follow up with concrete.
6) Nail the rest of the fence to the posts.

Cost ... totally depends on what kind of fence. Chicken wire between 4x4s is cheap but not much privacy there.
You could nail 1x4 alternating on each side. That's gonna cost more because it's a lot more wood. Alternating is important because 1) it looks less stupid, 2) the wind can get through, 3) you can crawl over it easily.

To keep chicken out (or in) you'd want it some 6'+ tall.

BTW you want pressure treated (aka green) lumber for this outdoor job.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

It's a novice chore, provided you can use a level, measure accurately, and have a pair of extra hands to keep things plumb before they're fixed in place. Using a gage to space boards speeds things up.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

By the way, I disagree with cement for anchoring wooden posts in the ground. The problem is that water wicks between the cement and the post and doesn't drain properly, so the post quickly rots. Better is to use longer posts and pack in crushed gravel.

aptruncata

Post by aptruncata »

it's not difficult at all.
the worst part for me was all the digging for the posts and screwing each and every picket.
dig with efficiency (not to deep or wide) and use quick setting cement.
after considering how long i'll be staying here, i've went with composite pickets over wood and happy with the choice. If you're considering staining or painting your fence...may want to consider the same.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Stain or paint before assembly. This gets to places you'll never see again, and the work can be done at sawhorse height! Then touch up after assembly. Talk to your neighbors before starting. Work out areas of contention before they are a problem. Unless you don't care about your neighbors, in which case, finding out their concerns,then just blowing them off is just going to make things worse.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The concrete should come up above the surface of the dirt, so the dirt doesn't cover and touch the wood. Also the concrete so preferably be sloped so the water can run off and doesn't pool around the post.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

since you are going for privacy, you should check with your planning dept for restrictions. 8 ft seems a perfectly reasonable privacy fence to me, but most planners want to restrict height to 6 ft.

As always, there are ways around the rules, some not worth the effort, but fun to consider anyway.

Raise a berm, add a 6 ft fence on that. most planners will allow 4ft reaining walls w/o permits, so you could get 10"!

Depending on setbacks for buildings without foundations, you could build a shed. A local here built a 35 foot tall, 2 foot wide "cabana" along the fence line he shared with his brother after a fallout! nothing says privacy like a 35' tall wall! winds might be a problem...

As for concrete and posts, wood swells and shrinks with moisture content, concrete with temperature. bringing the concrete to the surface seems like putting you post in a form fitting cup, very little water needs to get in the gap to fill it up. but i live in the land of fog and rain. check with an old local man, he'll have done it a few times, and know what to not do in your locality.

Spartan_Warrior

Thanks for the previous responses. So I'm finally getting around to doing this...

In the interest of convenience and cost, I'm planning to build onto the existing ~3 ft split rail fence (looks like this) with either a 6 ft privacy fence with extra 2 ft of lattice attachment or a full 8 ft privacy fence. I will verify with local county/city boards whether a maximum height restriction exists before starting.

It seems to me the best way to accomplish this would be to extend the existing short 4x4 fence posts to 6-8 feet tall. I would stack new 4x4s on top of the existing ones using steel plates (something like this) on either side to secure them together.

I would then attach three new rails on my side of the fence (easier than cutting them to fit between posts). Because the existing rails on the split rail fence are irregularly shaped, I wouldn't trust them to serve as rails on the new fence and would probably simply remove them. Then I would put the appropriate pickets (or whole panels) on my side, either a single layer with no gaps or two layers "board on board".

Note that I don't have access to or interest in putting vertical boards on the outside of the fence in the area in question; the redneck neighbor who has caused this fence to be necessary has previously indicated that he is capable of completing his side--I don't care what that side looks like as long as I don't have to look at them, so more power to him.

Anyone see any problems with these plans? Will extending the posts from the split rail fence in this manner compromise stability or cause wind issues, etc? Any other advice before I start measuring and ordering supplies?

Spartan_Warrior

@ffj: Thanks, that was actually my first instinct before I learned about the steel gusset plate things.

Unfortunately when I got home from work that day and actually looked closely, I realized the posts in that section of the fence are mysteriously 2x4s, not 4x4s like the rest of the fence. Doh! Since these posts also have three big holes in the middle of them to accommodate the split rails, I've kinda concluded that the existing posts would not be strong enough to extend to support a privacy fence.

So I'm back to figuring that I need to pull up the entire existing fence and put in a whole new one, which is a big enough job that I'll probably just sit on it for a year or so again. If I wait long enough I'll be FI and ready to just move away. :lol: