Service High Voltage Charging System

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
slowtraveler

Service High Voltage Charging System

Post by slowtraveler »

My Chevrolet Volt is displaying "Service High Voltage Charging System" and it won't charge until I do it.

I'm getting a quote soon from Chevy but it appears to be a battery coolant level issue upon some googling. Is there a way to do this myself or should I simply go to Chevy? I'm a little worried about messing up the system and the manual says that dealing with that system should be left to certified technicians.

jennypenny

Re: Service High Voltage Charging System

Post by jennypenny »

Would servicing it yourself void any warranty? That's what I would worry about since the batteries are pretty expensive.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Isn't there a volt forum?

I have a prius c, and when going into a technical issue like this, that is my first stop.

It could be as minor as an automated warning triggered by mileage, or it could be a real problem with the charging system. I have experience with high capacity battery systems, and no real fear of electricity,and I would still do more research before I would mess with a battery in a hybrid. I certainly wouldn't recommend any kind of hybrid battery diy without knowing more about the problem and your skills.

This is high capacity DC, it will melt tools in your hand if you short it out. I knew an old battery tech who still had a hole when he held his index finger and thumb together, where a nail would fit if you casually shorted a battery. As he put it, "when a nail goes from cold to white hot, you let go of it, but that doesn't mean it lets go of you."

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I googled too and apparently its often a defect on earlier volts where the battery fluid level is under filled at the factory. You can take it in for a free check. If that is the cause, they will fix it for free even if out of warranty. So dealer is the first stop. If not free, on to car specific forum which will save you tons of time and money if you invest a bit of time and effort. Forums are the best thing ever for DIY or wanting to be informed vehicle owners.

Can you let us know how it goes? The Volt is an interesting vehicle.