San Diego Shoestring Picnic Meetup | Thursday 12/28/23, 2PM

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Ego

Post by Ego »

C40 is in town with his incredible van. On Thursday we will be heading over to Coronado on the free commuter ferry at 8:00 AM (it is actually 8:10 but often leaves early) then looping around the island by bicycle at a leisurely pace before stopping at either Glorietta Bay Park or Tidelands Park for a makeshift TRX/bodyweight workout and chat about all things ERE.

We will return to San Diego by ferry (normally $4.75 but free with the commuter ticket they give you when boarding the commuter ferry in the morning) whenever we feel like it. The ferries run every hour, on the hour back to Broadway Pier or every hour on the 10 to the Convention Center/Gaslamp Quarter.

http://www.flagshipsd.com/sites/default ... hedule.pdf

I will bring a thermos full of hot water for tea. Be sure to bring your own cup and tea. I said this is a shoestring affair, didn't I?!

It looks like it is going to be beach weather (mid-to-upper-80s and sunny) so you could bring a swimsuit/towel and spend the day at the beach on Coronado.

Yes, 8:00 AM is an unusual time for a meetup. Get over it! C40 is retired. If you are in Southern California and can't make it because of work commitments, you need to reorganize your priorities. Life is short. C40 is a fascinating guy. You don't want to miss this.

Also, special bonus crazy-person meetup. C40 actually wanted to go to the swap meet near the border tomorrow (Wednesday, 11/9) at 6:00 AM. Hah! On the off chance that anyone else wants to come, consider yourself invited. We will be conspicuous as the only two gringos in the place. Be prepared to fight your way through piles of junk.

C40

Re: San Diego Shoestring Meetup | Thursday 11/10, 8:00 AM

Post by C40 »

Yeah buddy! It's hard to beat a party that includes a bike ride, working out, coffee/tea, AND a beach! Ego is a doubly fascinating, so let's do this folks!

Ego

Post by Ego »

C40 with the best find of the day.

I was slightly worried that the book would recommend spending Wednesday mornings digging through outer people's junk with friends and we'd get sucked into a multi-dimensional vortex.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Oh man, I'm bummed I wasn't able to attend this. Sounds like a great time.

Ego

Post by Ego »

When: Thursday, 12/28/23, 2:00PM

Where: The picnic tables between the Plaza de Panama Fountain and the San Diego Museum of Art, 1450 El Prado, Plaza de Panama, San Diego, CA 92101-1618 MAP

What: Shoestring picnic meetup with good conversation.

Mrs. Ego and I will be bringing homemade hummus with pita chips we picked up yesterday from my friendly used food vendor and unsweetened agua de jamaica. Bring whatever you would like.

Forecast is calling for a sunny day with afternoon temperature of 65°f (18°c), so come prepared with winter clothing. There are nice public restrooms just across the plaza in El Prado. The most convenient parking is the free public lot behind the Spreckels Organ Pavilion with a five minute walk to the meetup.

The Timkin Museum just across the plaza is free https://www.timkenmuseum.org/

Laura Ingalls

Re: San Diego Shoestring Picnic Meetup | Thursday 12/28/23, 2PM

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We were in San Diego earlier this month. We spent one day in Balboa Park. While we were in the plaza by the Timkin I remember a picture Ego posted with a picnic by the fountain. I feel like a spendthrift for eating my hummus at Panama66. :!:

Such a fantastic spot. Enjoy all those that can attend.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Good idea publicizing trying to capture more people. Usually I'd be the one to do that but I'm obviously off my game. We have random stuff from a holiday gift basket we will bring--lots of cracker-like things so that'll go well with hummus.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

This was really enjoyable. The egos packed an amazing picnic--tablecloth, picnic basket with great food and drinks. Clearly not their first rodeo. Someone observed security double checking we weren't boozing it up, as well as other people clearly envying what we had going on. One person even stopped by to comment on the gluten free pita chips--@ego gave them an extra bag he had, but opted not to share where he got them from. He also wasn't kidding about dressing for winter--when you live in paradise you acclimate to the weather. When the sun went down and the temperature dropped below 60F (15.5C), it seemed liked everyone was eager to wrap it up, despite the good conversation. After leaving, DW asked if this is what it was always like meeting people from the forum. I answered that EREfest was like this, except after that conversation broke up you had 18 equally as interesting other people to talk to.

@ego told me we were staying right by a swap meet, so we decided to check it out the next day. As @ego put it, the trash gods welcomed me, because before we even went I found a free suitcase ($300 new) and two boxes of books (one priced at $200) in the neighborhood while walking the dogs we were pet-sitting. He says he has stopped even posting his finds on the forum because it's just too much. I can believe it. Once we made it to the swap meet, we scored glucosamine (1/3 my lowest-ever unit price) and tortilla chips (3/$1) from the "used food" vendor, and DW got $5 Grogu PJ bottoms to wear at school on pajama days.

Thanks again for meeting up with us, @ego.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hah! We really did have a great conversation! The Grundomatics are extremely interesting, outgoing people. They brought a massive basket full of goodies as well. So much that we couldn't fit everything on the table. It was great fun. Thank you for reaching out. We really enjoyed the afternoon.