*Newest Chicago Meetup* December 3rd 2016, 2pm

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: *New Chicago Meetup* Saturday March 5, 2016

Post by jacob »

@inchicago - It will be available on request but you will have to work for it if you want it. That is, while everybody else is talking, you and I will be in the kitchen watching the pressure cooker on the stove.

Keep in mind that what I call lentil soup, most of the civilized world knows as dal and apparently fancy restaurants charge a nice if not pretty penny for that. I'm a pretty bad marketeer when it comes to food: I don't think my "lentil soup" would have been legend/notorious in the pf-blogosphere if I had referred to it as an artisanal alternative to ramen or delivery-pizza.

Seriously though ... maybe we should do a cook-in at the next ERE meetup. It would be a first and an upgrade from the potluck.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I had a friend from India (he moved last December) and he made the best dal and homemade chai. I am not opposed to help in the kitchen to learn either one of these delicious things. Practice makes perfect. :)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Bring him along! My recipe only tastes moderately better than ramen while being much cheaper and nutritious. Hopefully I can learn how to improve it. I haven't really practised my "lentil soup" regularly since 2004, so I find myself looking it up on the blog. These days I only cook it on request. It would be rather cool if we could spend the next meetup in the kitchen constructing $100/month meals.

Another suggestion would be to make this http://ginnerskov.dk/ableskiver.php This is a recipe than colonial Danes stole from Thailand in the 16th century. It's pretty good. I have the appropriate pan.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I also have an aebelskiver pan, which we use, but we switch up the ingredients with GF flour and almost milk. Doesn't taste the same but probably better for me. I can convince Danish guy to make these at the cook-in and we have the ingredients.

I'm totally for learning how to do $100/per month meals (as long as it's not heavy on pasta & bread).

Sadly, my Indian friend has moved away or I would take him with. He is ERE without even knowing it! Just has no desire for "stuff" of any kind. Not even sure why he lives anywhere since he has nothing.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Jacob-Is there an English version of that recipe?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@inchicago--I use this GF flour and it's the best I've found. I do find most recipes need a little extra moisture (oil/honey) when using GF flours.

Sorry, OT.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Ken - Adding slices of apples is a bit of an untraditional embellishment. I'd suggest ignoring anything that has to do with adding [real] apple slices on the first go around. So after adding the whipped egg whites into the concoction of yolks, baking powder, flour, milk, and sugar, just ignore the rest of the recipe. You can also skip the cardamom and the vanilla. The key to the recipe is the baking powder, whipping the egg whites separately, and the special pan they're made in.

They are typically served with jam and _powdered_ sugar. They will need a lot of butter or oil to cook in the pan w/o sticking. Butter is better than oil for this.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

@jennypenny This is the brand of flour I use. I have tons of their products. I have a receipt list for the next two weeks which includes the flour recipes so I can get rid of the 8 bags sitting in my cabinet. On the list this week includes orange almond cake and spelt bread.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

You're all having a meetup with æbleskiver... I'm surprisingly jealous.
Please post whatever you learned about good and inexpensive cooking in the appropriate subforums.

conpewter

Post by conpewter »

I would love to get in on this. I can bring some homebrew along and anything else needed.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

Any knife sharpening experts plan to attend? I have a waterstone I bought a few years ago that I'm still not that good at using. I can get knives sharper but not sharpest. Anyone else would be welcome to bring their own knives to sharpen if we had some adult supervision.

Ken

Post by Ken »

If I am able to attend, I'll bring my knife stuff. I have a good book on knife sharpening, and a tool that screws onto the blade. It helps to maintain a consistent angle while running the edge along the stone. I've found high carbon blades are easier to sharpen than stainless steel blades.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Ken wrote: I've found high carbon blades are easier to sharpen than stainless steel blades.
That's for sure. I love stainless steel for many things, but I have a hard time sharpening it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Okay, time to get a headcount!

Meet-up starts at 2pm.

PM me for location/directions if you don't know it.

erockrazor

Post by erockrazor »

Hey folks, new to the forum. Would love to attend if newcomers are welcome.

I've only ever met one other person pursuing Early Retirement and would love to meet more. I would be coming from Logan square with one other friend from Rogers Park.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@erockrazor - Yes, newcomers are welcome.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Headcount so far:

Confirmed and PM'd for location already: 5+3
Maybes and knows location: 1+1
Expressed interest above but haven't PM'ed yet: 2+1?

There'll be the following:

* Random pot luck. Bring some snack/drinkable if you want but no obligations or social pressure. A way to show off your frugal/DIY skills so don't spend more than $5. $5 can feed a family for a day ;-)

* Book exchange. There's a long-standing tradition of bringing surplus books and giving them away in an orderly fashion. This is predicated on the idea that we tend to enjoy reading the same things. Think of it as paperbackswap.com without credits and the need for shipping.

* Stuff give-away. Never done this before and I don't know how successful/popular this will be but I'll be offering up various surplus (wrenches, masking tape, sirius satellite radio, saw blades, plastic lures, compost worms, indoor antenna, ... whatever I can think of over the next few days). The idea is that it might save someone the effort/cost of having to shop for it. (We do this with one of our neighbours). So bring a shoebox with your unpriced possessions if you have something to unload in your quest to unclutter and minimize. Think of this as freecycle without the flakes.

Also, dress warmly. Usually the thermostat is set to 58F but I'll raise it until the last person stops shivering :-D

Miss Lonelyhearts

If anyone has a working AM/FM radio they don't want, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I'll try to inventory if I have anything worthwhile to exchange when I get home tonight. Anyone want poker books?

hyoga

Post by hyoga »

Anyone taking public transportation from downtown Chicago? I'm planning on taking the Pink Line from the Loop and walk from there, would be great to go together if you have a similar plan.

Miss Lonelyhearts

I'm lazy and I live near the Green Line, so I'm going to take that plus the Austin bus. If you want to coordinate PM for contact info.