Forum Instant Messaging

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
cmonkey

Forum Instant Messaging

Post by cmonkey »

For all of us poor schmucks out here who are stuck at computers all day (or anyone else :P ), I wonder if there is any interest in starting up a group chat using some chat tool? I heard or read once that one existed at one point.

One fun IM app that the DW and I use while I'm at work is called Cryptocat. 100% free and untrackable - everything is encrypted before leaving your computer. It is a browser extension that can be installed on Firefox, Chrome and a few others. It can also be installed on Android and Iphones.

To use you simply enter a group name and what name you want to go by while in the chat room.

If anyone is interested what group name should we establish? I'll throw out the obvious choice - ERE

Or is there something else that we'd rather use? I like cryptocat due to the extreme privacy. :D

SimpleLife

Re: Forum Instant Messaging

Post by SimpleLife »

Meh...I'm out. I guess if I need an instant reponse to a question it would be useful assuming people are online all the time, but I can just go to the MMM forum for that :-)

GandK

Post by GandK »

I'd be up for something like this when I'm (a) on my computer instead of my phone and (b) not trying to write. That's like 5% of the time, though. :D

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

https://webchat.freenode.net/

Channel #ere

This is the one that I've seen people on before.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

viewtopic.php?t=1635
Kriegsspiel wrote:https://webchat.freenode.net/
Channel #ere
fiby41 wrote:I suggest virtual meetups once a weekly/fortnight/monthly/quarterly/as convenient instead of empty IRCs like the one above.

That will be actual interesting discussion if enough people attend than people showing up on IRC at random times.