Reep's Bike Adventure of Epicness (BAE) (has ended)

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
reepicheep

Reep's Bike Adventure of Epicness (BAE) (has ended)

Post by reepicheep »

I figured that since I'd basically made a post in every single forum subsection and I was starting lose track of it all (and maybe annoy people), I should just post everything about my trip here. SO! If you're interested in the trials and tribulations of someone who has never done a bike tour and you want to hear about my route, my gear, my food, my bike, my possible partner, and my husband's inevitable explosion if it turns out I don't find someone trustworthy to go with, etc ad nauseum, it'll all be here. If you don't want to hear about it, click the Back button. 8-)

I don't know if I'll be able to update while I'm on the trip. I'm not bringing any kind of laptop or tablet with me and I'm not planning on seeking out computers or wi-fi for anything other than navigation. However, I will be bringing a journal and I'll type it up after I'm home. I may do quick one-liners if battery life on my phone is not an issue.

The Gear So Far
Sleeping bag and pad underneath. I have been sleeping on the floor lately to see if I can still do it/see whether my pad is sufficient...it's not, but I have no intentions of replacing it. I don't want to bring something I need to inflate it because I don't like having stuff with more moving parts than necessary.

From left: gloves, tube, lever, multi-tool, frame-bag, monster bike lock (not pictured: patch kit)

Headphones for the music/podcasts. Maybe. If I can figure out the battery life thing.

The best beanie I've ever owned. Not sure I'll need it in June though.

The mighty compression sack. I've owned this for six years and it is awesome.

2 rechargeable LED lights, a lighter (I'll probably bring two) and a solar-powered LED lantern. Not sure I'm bringing the lantern. It's not super heavy but it is unnecessary. Maybe I can pack a first-aid kit inside. I like it a lot--it is incredibly sturdy, and seems to work quite well on solar power. I haven't recharged it via USB since I bought it 4 months ago, it just sits in my window during the day and I use it at night instead of turning on the lights.

More to come!
Last edited by reepicheep on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

C40

Re: Reep's Bike Adventure of Epicness (BAE)

Post by C40 »

Awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing about your tour. How long do you expect it to be?

I recommend leaving the lantern at home. Assuming both of the LED lights are for the bike (and you don't have a good way to attach the headlight to your head, or if the light spread is too concentrated), LED headlamps (like the ones Petzl makes) can be very nice.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Awesome! Where are you going? What is your bike like? Are you camping (I don't see a tent)? Have fun!

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Following.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@C40, 21 days or so. Due to the weirdness of shift work, I only need to take 9 days off to do that. However...if something explodes (metaphorically) in my office, I may need to come back on the train to deal with it immediately, and then I'm sure I'll regret not putting in leave for each and every day I want to be gone. I can technically be called in on my off days, though I'm going to have a very serious talk with my NCO about whether he can manage without me for that length of time and how much I would like to NOT be called back into the office while I'm biking through Luxembourg. Since the job I'm in hasn't had an officer on top for years (it should have, but it didn't) and I've mostly just made a lot of work for people to do and otherwise hassled them since I arrived, I expect they'll be happy to get a break from me for awhile.

The headlights actually attach directly to my helmet. Sometimes I just wear my helmet around and treat the white one like a head lamp. They are very bright, with decent battery life, but will hopefully not be super necessary--I don't want to do a lot of riding at night and will do my best to avoid it. With the long summer days I think I will be fine. The lantern does have some neat other features, though, like being a container I could store stuff in.

@Gilberto de Piento, the tent and a variety of other gear (panniers, etc) is coming in the mail from my new friend who bike tours around the world: http://worldbicyclist.com/ . I do plan to camp--stealth camp, to be precise--though I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to handle the whole shower thing. On NOLS we hiked for 30 days without a shower. I did "bathe" in a couple of bodies of water (COLD). But it was also fairly cold for much of the trip--summer, but we were at higher elevations. People weren't that smelly. Towards the end of the trip when we were at lower elevations everyone just reeked. If I plan on ever interacting with other human beings on this trip; touring castles, etc, then I probably need to bathe once or twice. I'm told there are showers at camp grounds and I've seen some in McDonalds, so I should be able to find one if necessary, I think.

I'm trying to bike through Belgium and into The Netherlands in time for the ERE meet-up we're all having on the 13th and 14th of June. That is the raison d’être for this trip. Or it may just be an excuse to go biking.

I brought my new baby home yesterday (after testing it out for 9 miles). YOU GUYS. YOU GUYS. The difference between riding this bike and riding my Wal-Mart special is like the difference between strapping in to a Saturn V and watching Apollo 13 on a 1990's cell-phone screen with no sound*. I had NO IDEA what I was missing all these years. Clearly, I need to quit work and just ride my bike ALL THE TIME.

Bike needs a name. I'm thinking I'll call it "Slurp." Just 'cuz.

*Not that I have any actual experience with strapping a giant rocket to my ass and riding it to the moon. But still. You get the idea.

Also, I've been bringing up this trip in casual conversation with husband more or less every day. He hasn't asked any more detailed questions...he may be in "don't ask, don't tell" mode regarding my company on this trip (or lack thereof--still no certain leads). But at least he knows about it now.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Subbed, looking forward to hearing how you get on, as a bike tour is on my bucket list too :)

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

What is this subbing people are doing?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Subbing, in this context, is used to Indicate interest so that the author will write more about it.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Many gas stations in Germany have showers. Probably not in remote areas, but more likely the closer you get to a major freeway.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

bathing daily is highly overrated. I'm leaving in a week or two to hike for a month. I carry "wet ones" (sometimes called baby wipes, etc). A quick wipe down of "pits" and face ,etc. takes care of things adequately.

If I'm lucky, I get a shower once a week.

Re: "subbed"
Under the "wrench" icon there is a subscribe button. You get special notification when new posts to the thread are made. Lots of subs means you are a "hot topic" <G>

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'm interested. What kind of bike is that? When I get around to touring I will most likely be prowling around the Oregon coast range logging roads, so there's no shortage of places to bath (streams) nor anybody around to bother if I choose not to.

Are you road touring?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@enigmaT120, that is a Fuji Finest 1.1: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/finest-11-disc

I am hopefully road touring, but I had an exciting dirt adventure the other day when I attempted to go babysit for a friend of mine. He had to come rescue me from the middle of nowhere dirt/rock road I was on after I got multiple punctures and wasn't equipped to fix it (because apparently something that says "patch kit" in German only contains the glue and not the patches).

I'm probably going to grab some wipes/use water and baking soda for a light scrub down.

Onward!

Gear preparation:

Shoes and new pedals. Shoes I bought on E-Bay for $34 plus $15 shipping, apparently they are over $100 retail but these came in the original box, with tags, and appear to be brand new, so I'm pretty happy with them (they fit just fine). Pedals I picked up at the bike shop today after taking my bike in for a new tube/getting Mr. Tuffy tire liners put in.

After I got the bike + strawberries from the farmers market home, I practiced clipping in and out of the pedals about 100 times just leaning up against the wall before I rode around in circles in my driveway. So far, I've not fallen due to a failure to clip out. I'll practice more tomorrow--I have no experience with clipping pedals. I didn't ride home with the shoes on because the bike shop advised that I might smoosh the strawberries.

My bike tour adventuring friend (who just climbed Mt. Fuji last week) had his girlfriend send me a bunch of his used gear. It arrived this afternoon, so I spent a couple of hours fiddling with getting it set up. What you see here are two Ortlieb Panniers, a handlebar bag, a small frame bag (bought that myself), and a black webbing net on the back rack. The webbing I've had for a long time; I use it on my motorcycle and it's pretty awesome.

I had to cannibalize some black foam padding from the light fixtures on my other bike in order to get the handlebar attachments to stay put--they were just a little too big for my bars. But once I'd done that it seemed pretty solid. The handlebar bag is also missing one snap for the closure, but I'm not sure this is going to matter much because of the bungi cord below. I do have some snaps and a snap attach tool (a craft project I ended up not needing), so I may try to fix it.

My friend told me that he modified the handlebar bag to be able to carry a mattress on the front with some cordage. He warned me not to do that with an inflatable thermarest because I'd risk puncturing it if the bike fell over and because of the potential UV damage. No problem, because I have a foam egg shell pad! I bungi corded it to the front, which has the additional benefit of pulling tight the side of the bag lid that doesn't have a snap on it.

Close up of the front bag. It may look like it's rubbing on my front wheel; it's not. There's several inches of clearance and nothing seems inclined to move around much.

Below the seat is a serious bike lock.

You can also see in this image my solar lantern in the drink holster thing. I packed it full of all the stuff I would need to repair a tire/bike--tube, patches, glue, more patches, multi-tool, tire levers. The idea is that I may be able to put a camelbak bag of water either in the frame bag or on the back of the bike, rather than a bottle of water in the holster. I'm not sure how well this will work, but I do have a small camelbak bag that fits in the frame bag. I haven't tried to fill it up and smoosh it in there yet, though, or ride with the straw zip tied/wrapped around the frame with velcro/however it is I'm going to end up rigging it. I'm also definitely going to need to bring an additional bottle for water, because things like cooking and bathing really don't work well when done entirely from a camelbak. It's just not a practical water carrying device.

The nice thing about this set up is that the solar lantern does appear to be getting enough light to charge, even though the frame bag is partially blocking the solar panel.

Most of the clothes I'm bringing. From the top: Long sleeve UV-resistant/sweat-resistant white shirt, partially covered very light-weight/mesh tank-top white shirt, ball cap, zip-off cargo pants/short (tan), 2 sports bras, 1 pair loose Asics shorts, 1 pair spandex underamor shorts, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of underwear, rain pants and jacket, white mesh cap that you put water on and it cools you down, sunglasses. I think I left a fleece at work but I plan on also bringing that, and possibly other warmer clothing. I'm not sure whether I will need warmer clothing or not--it's getting quite warm here, but I'm uncertain about the variability of the temperature in the summer. Folks who have lived here, am I going to need warmer clothing at night in June in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, and Amsterdam?

Sundry items. Camping knife, head phones, sunglasses, camelbak, wallet, zip ties, mosquito head net, lighter, gloves, helmet.

Better shot of the helmet with my two LED lights on it.

Incomplete collection of toiletries: Sunscreen, teeny tiny first aid kit, manual tooth brush, deodorant crystal (I may try to cut a chunk off this to save a couple ounces), couple empty bottles I plan on putting some face wash and probably some kind of baking soda/water mix into. I do actually shower with normal people shampoo, believe it or not, but this trip is long enough and the showering may be primitive enough that I'll be happier with baking soda residue on my hair/body than actual soap.

Also pictured is the case for the GPS and a compass. The actual GPS was in the kitchen and did not make it into these photos.

Fleece sleeping bag I picked up. This may be too light weight for this trip, but again it's getting warmer every night here and I may just try to get by with this (and maybe a space blanket?) If I decide before I leave that it's not going to be warm enough I'll bring my real sleeping bag. Also pictures is my camp stove set up, courtesy of my bike-tour buddy from reddit. Very nice, expensive Titanium pot, windscreen, and the stove and all the repair equipment is in the little black bag. I took the stove out and set it up earlier today; I'm not sure if it works because he shipped me the gas tank empty and I need to go fill it up, but it all seems to set up just fine. And the compression sack is in this image too, but you've seen that before. In the middle of the picture you can see my solar panel all folded up and my extra battery.

The solar panel does work and it seems theoretically possible that it's going to be able to keep things at some level of charge (but maybe not actually increase their charge level), but I'm going to need to find some way of strapping it onto the back of the bike and simultaneously connecting it to whatever I need to charge and I haven't tried to do that yet.

Not pictured: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BN ... UTF8&psc=1

After much internal debate, I told my reddit buddy not to send his tent. I was also considering buying a hammock set up and tarp and I may eventually regret my decision not to go with that option as it may be more comfortable for sleeping, but I'm going to try out the bivvy sack first. There are a few reasons the bivvy is superior to a tent:

-Much more compatible than a tent or a hammock with "stealth camping". As a result, I'm far more likely to try using this near work on those occasional nights when it is just stupid to go home. Much cheaper than buying a van to sleep in (see my journal if this is confusing to you).

-I'm small enough that it's actually pretty easy for me to change in a sleeping bag. I've done it before on co-ed camping trips, so I'm not all that worried about needing a tent for privacy. And if I'm stealth camping well enough...it shouldn't be that big a deal to get out and put on pants, unless it's raining.

-I'm also small enough that I actually store a significant amount of my gear inside my sleeping bag when I'm camping, so I imagine I'll be able to do the same thing with a bivvy sack. Again, don't need a whole separate tent/fly system just to keep my gear dry.

-Having the bivvy sack may allow me to go light with the sleeping bag as it'll keep heat closer to my body. I'll test this out by sleeping in the backyard a couple of times before I go, probably. My landlord will just LOVE that, I'm sure (he thinks I'm pretty weird, I think, but it's hard to tell sometimes).

-I like the idea of a complete sleeping system that I don't have to mess around with too much. As long as it's not windy I may not even need to stake this down, and I think I'll be able to put my mattress pad inside of it as well. I tend to roll off my mattress pad at night and this will help keep things all together.

-The weight between a tent/poles/fly and a hammock/straps/fly and a bivvy/sleeping bag is pretty much comparable, unless I'm willing to spend several hundred dollars more than I'm interested in spending. So weight really wasn't much of a factor here.

-I can use a bivvy where there aren't trees. Can't do that with a hammock.

Other stuff not pictured:
Spoon
Notebook/pen
Warm clothes
Some kind of shoe to wear around camp (flip flops? Aren't ideal in the woods. Or castles. I may bring my sneakers).

Route:

I'm thinking I may just go West until I hit the ocean, then follow the coast up north until I hit Rotterdam or Amsterdam, and THEN pull out the GPS/maps/phone what have you to find the particular village where @Quadalupe lives.

That may be slightly insane. :?

ERE supported bike adventure:

Much thanks to @Jacob, who sent me a whole box full of stuff, including a really kick ass multi-tool that's more complicated than most car engines, a variety of repair equipment (some of which will be going with me), a patch kit that I epic-failed at using properly on Friday (he's since provided substantial additional instruction that should make my next application considerably easier), some new water bottle holster things, and some other stuff that I'm somewhat unclear on the uses for (but it's shiny!).

Physical preparation:

I'm continuing to do the density training that I made a post on awhile back. I can now do 10 rounds for 10-12 minutes with the 20 lb kettlebell. I don't always manage to do it every other day, but I'm reasonably consistent and I'm clearly making progress (I'm in fact now offering to sell my 15 lb kettlebell on bookoo because it is too light).

And I bike to work and back and all over the place to all my errands and side jobs and stuff. It's not a lot, on a daily basis, but I'd say up to 20 km isn't really difficult for me on an un-loaded bike, and I'm sure I could go farther if I had a need to. I'm going to try to take a longish ride tomorrow at least partially packed up just to get a feel for the gear and the bike and the clip pedals.

Mental preparation:

I'm not sure about this one, honestly. I think a big reason I'm doing this is because I *know* it's going to be challenging for me. Hopefully challenging in the "this is a growth opportunity and an opportunity to develop mental resilience" and not challenging in the "somebody just stole my brand new bike outside of a gas station bathroom 50 miles from the nearest train station" challenging. Or the "somebody just mugged me, raped me, and left me for dead in the middle of a forest because I didn't hide well enough/got unlucky/didn't manage to stab them first" level of challenging.

We just had a really unfortunate incident somewhat close to our base recently where a car accident left a young soldier dead. He and his wife just got here a few months ago; she's pregnant with their first child and due in the fall. This has really shaken up the entire military community (the accident was pretty brutal and I believe the young man burned alive, trapped in his car). The other driver walked away with bruises. If anything, this accident has underscored how fragile all our lives are, and how random and sudden the end can be. He was just driving to work--it could have been me, it could have been anyone. There's no reason to wait to experience life and there's no reason to hold back from trying hard and maybe somewhat dangerous things--you could die in your car tomorrow.

Companion preparation:

The head of the road bike club on base made a facebook post, but so far no takers. I do have someone from Australia who I'm reasonably sure is going to bike south with me from the Netherlands after the meet-up. I don't have anyone who is going north with me, as of yet, and I've basically stopped actively looking.

Husband preparation:

I'm going to send him a pic of the bike with all the bags on it shortly in conjunction with a lot of exclamation points expressing my excitement. I'll get one of two responses: "Cool" or "Wait, when is this happening again? 2 weeks?! I had no idea that you were actually doing this NOW. Who are you going with?"

Aaaand then we'll go from there.

henrik

Post by henrik »

Have you thought about what your daily mileage will be?

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

reepicheep said " So far, I've not fallen due to a failure to clip out. I'll practice more tomorrow--I have no experience with clipping pedals. I didn't ride home with the shoes on because the bike shop advised that I might smoosh the strawberries."
You will fall at least once. Practice unclipping well before ALL intersections. I just fell a few weeks ago, forgot to unclip and then , in the crunch, couldn't get enough rotation to get it done. A passing car stopped to see if I was OK. Very embarassing.

Re the bivy. It makes a big difference in warmth. Your fleece bag will probably be fine to freezing with it.

Have a great trip.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Henrik, my current route (which takes me a pretty long way out of the way of a direct path from point A to point B) is about 845 km, so roughly 60 km day or 35ish miles. I think that's a pretty low daily distance, even for a beginning cyclist. I have about 15 days to make the trip up north. The first part of the trip is pretty hilly, though, so we'll see. I may need to adjust my route.

Coming back down, I may end up buying a train ticket somewhere to get back before I need to go to work. A direct path from point B to point A is 405 km and I'll have 3-4 days to do that, depending on when I leave the Netherlands. 100-135 km in a day may be too much for me, though it's a much more direct path, most of it is on a bike path (EuroVelo15), and it's pretty flat. I'm hoping that my long, meandering trip up will help get me into shape to push hard the last few days, but if not and I really just need a break I don't mind taking a train and cutting the trip short by a day or so.

@Tommytebco, just want to make sure I understand since I think you have a typo--you think the fleece + bivvy will be fine? Or that I'll be freezing in it?

Roger on the unclipping. Not looking forward to that!

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

Yes, the fleece with the bivy should be fine down to freezing temperatures (0 deg C) Plus, if you're still cold, just put on everything you have with you..

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Oh gotcha! I understand what you said now. Really? I had no idea that it could go down to such a low temp.

My reddit buddy thinks the fleece will be fine as well; he did advise taking some warmer clothing though just in case. I have a good light-weight down jacket and some long underwear; that'll probably be fine honestly. I'll probably be too hot.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I remember it getting pretty chilly in the Netherlands in June when we camped out in a tent at Pinkpop. But you can bundle up at night and it won't be that bad. Then in the morning you'll be on your bike warming up.

What kind of motorcycle do you have?

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Good luck with the pedals - they will become second nature with practice. It's too late now but mountain bike pedals are easier to get out of and have 99% of the benefits of road pedals. I like eggbeaters. Flat pedals are also nice for touring since you can bike in a pair of running shoes and wear them off the bike.

Have fun on the tour! The countries you are riding through sound great.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Kriegsspiel, Honda Rebel 250. Basically a glorified scooter. I've kind of been thinking of selling it though...I love it, but the amount of time required to put on all the stuff I wear when I ride it makes biking almost always faster, based on the distances I typically go. I also find it obnoxious dealing with all the gear on the other end of the trip as I basically have to either keep it on or carry a bunch of stuff around with me, depending on where I am (grocery shopping in armor is really fun!) Plus, I don't ride it often enough to really be able to ride it "safely." Every time I get on I'm kind of shaking in my boots, now, even though I went and took a safety class after my accident and did quite well, enjoyed the class, etc. I get a lot more use out of my bike(s) than I do my motorcycle.

Dunno. Husband would be thrilled.

@Gilberto de Peinto:

Welp. I took a 40 km trip today (20 km out, 20 km back) and...I fell. I was on my way back after biking up a big hill, taking a break for a snack, and then deciding I'd gone far enough and I should head home. I was making a turn onto the bike path from the village road and wanted to stop to check the GPS on my phone, just to make sure I was going the right way.

I forgot to unclip and slow-motion keeled over. Nobody saw the fall, but several cars drove by as I collected my wits, pulled my foot out of my still-clipped-on shoe, pulled the shoe off the pedal, and put the shoe back on. I put my hand down as I fell and my right forearm feels a bit bruised, but nothing serious. In retrospect, mountain bike pedals would have been a better option, yes. I'm not sure if I could have made it work with the shoes, though. At this point I'm kind of married to this system, as Jacob so succinctly put it.

I also had what could have been a much more serious accident on my way home. I passed this older gentleman, fully kitted out in bike gear. We did the head nod (I'm biking. You're biking too! Isn't it great!) thing and then as I biked past him I notice his son (nephew, grandson, not sure), a 10ish year old boy on a mountain bike about 20 feet behind him.

This kid is all over the bike path, wobbling back and forth, and staring at his front tire. I'm pretty sure he was just screwing around and not unable to ride a bike, but by the time I'd processed that he had no idea I was coming at him and I had no way of avoiding hitting him (because I couldn't tell which side of the path I should be on to avoid him, he was that all over the place), there was basically no way to avoid a collision. I yelled "hello, hello" at him twice. He noticed me at the very last second and swerved right. I had nowhere to swerve except into the strip of flowers between the bike path and the road, and I think if I'd done that I probably would have fallen into the traffic because of a failure to clip out.

As he was riding by me he hit my handlebars somehow--my left forearm is pretty bruised, but I'm not sure exactly what part of him/his bike hit me. He fell. I did not fall, but fully expected to. A few moments after impact I realized that I hadn't fallen--and was then shockingly able to have the presence of mind to clip out and come to a complete stop without falling over. I dismounted and took stock of everything. The kid had gotten up by this point--he seemed uninjured, though I didn't go examine him myself. His dad/grandpa/uncle came to talk to me, checked to make sure I was OK, I asked if the boy was OK, everybody was OK, and we just stood around and chatted for a few minutes while everyone recovered from our near brushes with head-on bike collisions.

And then everybody rode off in opposite directions.

For this training ride, I packed pretty light. I left the sleeping bag pad on the front and put some odds and ends into the front bag, including my camelbak. This seems like a solid set-up for my camelbak; I was able to get to the straw while biking, it wasn't in the way, and it fits just fine. Probably better than putting it in the frame bag, where I ended up storing a snack and a spare tube.

I brought my stuff sack underneath the black webbing on the back rack. Stuff sack was lightly packed--basically just day trip clothes. A change of shirt, rain gear, wallet, passport, keys. I left the panniers empty, but strapped on. I strapped the solar panel over the stuff sack and underneath the webbing and was able to plug the phone into it, listen to a podcast, and strap the phone onto the webbing without much trouble. I got a few percent of charge on the phone on a partially cloudy day. I think in the future I'll turn off data pull and just keep the podcast on, to see if that increases the battery re-charge speed. I left with it at about 50% and came back with it at about 52% 3 hours later, after using it continuously as an MP3 player, checking my location twice, and snapping a couple photos. Really not bad.Hopefully I can keep it close to 100% if I don't leave with it half empty like I did today.

Everything else seemed to work pretty well. The 40 km distance included some decent hills, mostly bike paths, some well-trafficked roads, and lots of pretty views. It didn't feel that difficult. I'm not sore, my legs feel fine, and basically the only parts of me that hurt right now are both my forearms...unsurprisingly, after the two incidents I had. I have no doubt that I could have gone much farther--I left around 2 in the afternoon and just didn't want to get back too late.

I think husband may be reading these posts. It's not beyond the realm of possibly--at various times in the past I've sent him an article or two from MMM or Jacob. It would be most unlike him to snoop on me (I'm the one who reads his reddit posts, not the other way around--he knows I know his username, he knows mine) and not tell me, but at this point I think he might be trolling me (and that would be very much like him).

I posted a shot of the bike and the product he sells on his business facebook page because that's kind of a thing he encourages his clients to do--take a pic of his product in cool places. It helps market the product, and since I took some with me anyway I figured why not send him a nice shot he can use. When I got back, we had this conversation via text:

Me: I biked.
Him: I see.
Me: I fell over. And a kid ran into me. Everybody is OK. It was fun.
Him: OK
Me: (sends pictures)

Now, normally at this point I would be getting an overwhelmed/anxious vibe from him--I had an accident, I had more than one accident, am I hurt, was I doing something stupid at the time, why'd I fall over, etc. But...nothing. So I decided I needed to poke the sleeping bear a bit. :mrgreen:

Me: Does your total lack of interest in my cycling adventures mean you're not going to freak out in 2 weeks when I leave for Amsterdam?
Him: I'm busy. I'm not going to freak out but I hope you are going to be cautious and careful.
Me: OK

He IS busy today--I think somebody is coming to put sheetrock in the garage so he can legally sell product out of it--but never have I had a more drama-free conversation with him after I've potentially hurt myself. His reaction to my motorcycle accident was pretty incredible, and the amount of injury I've suffered today is pretty comparable to that accident. I think I could have been hurt a lot worse than I was when that kid hit me. The kid could have been really hurt, too. I actually came home and put ice on my arm...didn't even bother to do that after the motorcycle crash.

In any case, I consider this conversation to be him forfeiting all rights to freaking out in two weeks. :lol: Husband, if you're actually reading this, you're on notice!

Some photos: