Oahu/Waikiki: Wed Nov 24 2010

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Nords

Post by Nords »

Jeremy and I are in the process of setting up a meeting around his plane ticket. His best days are Tue/Wed or Thu morning while I'm booked on Tue.
We're tentatively looking at surfing Queen's/Kaiser's on Wed morning or meeting at the Wailana Coffee House (1860 Ala Moana at Kalia/Ena) for brunch/lunch later that day. Decisions & details to follow.
Anyone else on this board living on Oahu? (Nothing comes up on a search.) Anyone else want to join us this week? We could sort out the details in this thread or you could e-mail me (NordsNords at GMail) or we're in the phone book.
Of course I'm also available for meetups at times other than this week. Waikiki surf is better May-November but any time of year is good, and the Wailana is open 24 hours/day...

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

How about brunch at the Wailana Coffee House?

My wife and I could be available anytime before noon
I'll drop you an email as well

Nords

Post by Nords »

How about 10AM Wednesday? I'll be leaving home about 9AM but I don't carry a cell phone. Let us know if the plan needs changing, otherwise we'll see you soon!
I've invited a poster from E-R.org. We'll both have big ER smiles on our faces, but he'll be better dressed and I'll have the ponytail. More details in my e-mail.
Anyone else?

Nords

Post by Nords »

Thanks, Jeremy et al, I enjoyed meeting you and your wife, and a good time was had by all!

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Good times indeed! Winnie and I might need to start looking for a place to live in Hawaii :)

kabocha45

Post by kabocha45 »

I didn't know that there were Hawaii meetups. I'd love to join in if anyone wants to get together. Please let me know! kabocha45 at gmail dot com.
Take care!

Kara

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I'd be interested in a Hawaii meetup in 2011 :)

Nords

Post by Nords »

Jeremy and I know each other from Early-Retirement.org so there was a bit of a head start. Now we have at least two posters on this board on Oahu, although there are a few more of us over at E-R.org. But if you're going to be on Oahu then post here or there or send us an e-mail. Weekday lunches or late-morning surfing are easiest for me.
Kara, I just sent you an e-mail.

An8el

Post by An8el »

I'm on the north end of the Big Island. A meetup at some point in 2011 sounds like fun. But I'd have to know ahead of time so I can get a deal on a flight to Oahu. (Also, I migrate to the SF Bay area during November and Dec. yearly as part of my "strange" lifestyle...)

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An8el

Post by An8el »

Hey - stay tuned...and keep in touch. I might not do my ritualistic yearly visits in November this year...

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

I'm on Oahu. Aloha to you all.

Mr. Overlord

Post by Mr. Overlord »

Hey JZ, Aloha. Can I ask you what your thoughts are on living in Hawaii? My wife and I are considering moving there, although to Kauai.

Nords

Post by Nords »

Mr. Overlord, even though Kauai & Oahu might look a lot alike on the map or from a visit, they're quite a difference in cultures & styles.
One of the biggest differences is that there are still some places on Oahu where you can live in the country similar to what you'd find all over Kauai. Yet if you need to go to a big-box store (or a major medical center) it's just an hour away. On Kauai you might need a plane ticket or even container space on an interisland barge...
One of the better places to get info on living in Hawaii from locals is from HawaiiThreads.com. Off the top of my head I don't remember any regulars posting from Kauai, but someone may come out of lurking to talk about it.