Meetup in the Netherlands

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
rube

Re: Meetup in the Netherlands

Post by rube »

Yes, see you all soon!

But first this morning we have to go to the real-estate agent to sign the contract to buy our first rental. Then I'll prepare some food for the afternoon-evening :-)

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

Enjoy the meetup guys !

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

That was nice :-) It was really nice to meet up with real people in real life and not feel like the weird person with the early retirement dreams for once. Ha. :-)

Err, if I do a very quick description of the evening:

All of us arrived at a bit after 4 PM and we set down in the garden with some awesome drinks made of elderflowers, and of water with some herbs in it (can't remember which one anymore, but it was nice too, something lemon-y?). We talked about ERE, biking, holidays, I had to skip an hour for work (unfortunately) and I did that on my laptop while sitting inside, but heard the others talk about education during that time, and I believe also global warming/the environment.

I thought it was really nice that we were all in different stages, some of us are just starting out, others are "on their way", others may be something like halfway there, and yet others are FI and enjoying it. I also thought it was nice how everybody has their own approach, their own way of doing things.

Then around 6, Simplex showed us around, they have an awesome shared garden and an even more awesome shared sauna, I'm lacking the english words, but it's a nice community where people have their own home, but they share the garden, the sauna and a community house, and it's all very nice.

Then we ate bread-on-a-stick (never did that before) and the awesome food that each of us brought. The weather was nice, so that we could stay outside. We talked some more about careers and about being retired, about investing, and later at night about tips and tricks, how to reduce gas, electricity and water costs, etc.

We had to leave a bit after 10 PM so that I could catch the last train. I did, and arrived home safely.

rube

Post by rube »

@Dutchgirl, good to hear the train worked out well.

Thanks everybody who attended the meeting and thanks Simplex for hosting the meeting. I enjoyed it very much.

mstrax

Post by mstrax »

Thanks everybody for de nice meet. Nice to hear different story's.
My brain is working, thinking of the different possibilities :)

simplex

Post by simplex »

Hi,

meeting some Dutch ERE people was quite an experience.
First there was the difference between what I imagined people would be from forum posts and their real life personas.
Secondly there was the difference between the American perspective and the Dutch view.
Thirdly, the stage of life (not directly age) also had a large impact on how people saw their situation.

At around 4pm everybody arrived and we talked, later followed by a tour of the community where I live. Then we had a camp fire and meal, followed again by talk.
Two people stayed overnight, reepicheep with her bike and J_ (who also arrived on bike). I hope I gave them enough directions the next day to find their way.

What I learned:
- I was impressed by J_'s story, and the way he found peace in his life. I'm not in a similar situation as him, so many of his tactics I can't use, but I like his strategy.
- I could relate very much to Rube's ERE situation, but struggle getting grip on his tactics. Maybe I need to talk in person to Rube again.
- Quadalupe's view on life is great.
- Dutchgirl's background was really interesting for me. Although we are different in many ways, I think we also share more than I thought.
- Organizing the meetup was a great experience. Next time we need to bring less food, as we couldn't finish all of it. The food was really nice, from couscous salad to pasta salad, quiche, stick bread, ... Recommended for a meetup!
- We talked about other forum members, and I'm inspired to check out some journals and maybe pm some.

Thanks for everyone attending!

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Sounds like you'll had a great meet-up, and I wished I would have been there to meet you all (and also explored the shared community set-up), but perhaps next year, or if you like, you can visit Hungary and have a camp-fire over there in my garden (fingers crossed, i will be there by 2016)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hi all. How's life? How about a new meetup... roughly two years after the previous one? Perhaps in May?

rube

Post by rube »

Hi DG, great idea :)
Let's see who's interested and what day would be possible
Anybody who's interested to join, please let us know which date will work: https://doodle.com/poll/3wb2dn5u2pmn55bf
Exact place and timing TBD.

simplex

Post by simplex »

Hi DG and rube,
let's meet again! I can offer our place for the meeting again, or we can try something new.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

I'd also be up for it! :D I loved your place last time simplex, so thank you for offering again.

Ayanka

Post by Ayanka »

Hey, I am Belgian, would I be allowed to participate? Or is the location just too far from the border to be feasible to make it?

J_

Post by J_ »

HI Ayanka, last time we had an American young lady who joined our meeting, so I think you are welcome too. Last time we had our meeting in the middle of the Netherlands, I suppose that is not too far from Belgium to join.

rube

Post by rube »

Edit, J_ beat me while I was typing on my phone....@Ayanka: see above. Nothing more to add.

I also noticed @'figmenter' has filled out the doodle, but is not a member of this forum I believe. We will be unable to reach you if you are not registered here. Because of privacy reasons we won't announce in public the exact location details.

figmenter

Post by figmenter »

@rube, you rang?

NickHalden

Post by NickHalden »

I have registered as well, allthough sundays are quite hard for me to work out a meeting. Would be very nice to meet some likeminded people!

Ayanka

Post by Ayanka »

J_ wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm
HI Ayanka, last time we had an American young lady who joined our meeting, so I think you are welcome too. Last time we had our meeting in the middle of the Netherlands, I suppose that is not too far from Belgium to join.
Ok, thanks for the heartily welcome. I ' ll fill in the doodle and see what comes up. I promise I won't make any Dutch people jokes :p

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Hi all,

I've also filled in the doodle. I'll try to come for real this time, together with my wife. She wants to know who all these crazy people are that I'm always talking about :lol:

lente

Post by lente »

Only been aware of ERE for a few weeks, total noob. I'm not usually the person to respond to irl meetups, but I hope to learn and hit the ground running. This seems like a good opportunity to do so. Hopefully noobs are welcome too :)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Welcome, lente. I think there will people who are starting out and people who are on their way and people who have retired - and it's all okay. And we're not all on the exact same path, and that's okay, too.